CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Whats the deal!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #171
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Janine I wasn't trying to be rude just point out any term can be taken the wrong way. Some are just obvious like the F and N words though on your side of the pond a F is a smoke right? I haven't ever used any of these words and have a family that represents every color of the rainbow literally, I have dated inside and out of my race, and honestly still don't get why lynching is considered a racist term. Someone enlighten me maybe its too early and I'm slow.
I didn't take you as rude at all. In fact my part-Nigerian nephew and my boys would make an outsider's ears curl up with their liberal use of the 'n' word and 'honky' when they are kidding around, because my eldest boy's hair has grown into a blonde 'fro he's been claimed as a 'white 'n'' by his cousin. However it would be a totally different matter if my boys heard the 'n' word used as a hostile term against their cousin. Language being so fluid, context and intent mean just as much as the actual words spoken.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #172
snakemom1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I didn't take you as rude at all. In fact my part-Nigerian nephew and my boys would make an outsider's ears curl up with their liberal use of the 'n' word and 'honky' when they are kidding around, because my eldest boy's hair has grown into a blonde 'fro he's been claimed as a 'white 'n'' by his cousin. However it would be a totally different matter if my boys heard the 'n' word used as a hostile term against their cousin. Language being so fluid, context and intent mean just as much as the actual words spoken.
J9, Can I ask you why it is alright for them to use those words amongst each other and yet be offended when others use the same words towards them?
I personally find those words very offensive and never understood why it was alright for a black person to use the N word when talking to a friend and yet find it offensive when others use it towards them?
I"m just trying to become enlightened here and not trying to offend anyone of any race.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #173
danielle
On that note it is the intent. Whats up my N amongst black people is a term of endearment, but when one says look at the N the meaning of the same word becomes quite different.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #174
snakemom1961
So, your saying that I could say "what's up my N friend" to my partner at work and he shouldn't be offended by it? I'm tellin ya if I did that I'd be HR'S office so fast my head would spin.
I'm sorry I just don't see how it can be right to say certain words in any context.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #175
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemom1961 View Post
J9, Can I ask you why it is alright for them to use those words amongst each other and yet be offended when others use the same words towards them?
I personally find those words very offensive and never understood why it was alright for a black person to use the N word when talking to a friend and yet find it offensive when others use it towards them?
I"m just trying to become enlightened here and not trying to offend anyone of any race.
I have no idea except to again cite the context and intent behind the words which changes the impact of them amongst friends. I suppose because they are happy within their own skins? Having all grown up in an extended family and with close friends of different races and sexualities they really don't make much of a deal about it all. Seeing as their father has been largely absent by his choice the closest male role models my boys have had have been their Nigerian uncle and two of my male gay best friends, so I would think by default they're comfortable with situations that might faze teens from a more conventional background.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #176
danielle
I hate HR,lol but yes if you are that close to someone and they know your intent society says its okay. My best friend Donovon is black and calls me his favorite white girl greeting me with whats up white girl I greet him back with my nothing black boy and its all in good spirits and friendship. Tone, body language, and intent can make most all words positive or negative.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #177
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemom1961 View Post
So, your saying that I could say "what's up my N friend" to my partner at work and he shouldn't be offended by it? I'm tellin ya if I did that I'd be HR'S office so fast my head would spin.
I'm sorry I just don't see how it can be right to say certain words in any context.
That would depend entirely on your relationship with that person, though. I'd never accept (or give out) the level of insulting epithets that pass between myself and some of my close friends with a stranger.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #178
snakemom1961
I guess I"ll just leave it because I just don't understand how it can be alright use it at all if you don't want it used towards you, no matter what the intent or context of such a word is used. But I do want to thank you both for trying to explain it to me.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #179
The_Thunderer
Just chiming in here from my past experience... Where you live could also have something to do with what's acceptable or not. When I lived on a military base in Korea as a kid, it was perfectly acceptable to use the word "honkey" amongst my "white" friends. BUT when my father was transfered to Ft. Bragg, NC, it was NOT... and I almost found out the hard way.

Needless to say, I don't use ANY of those words now... LOL.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #180
Drizzt80
Got this in an email last night:

Quote:
COWS
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazingthat
during themad cow epidemic our government could track
a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right
to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington?
And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are
unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around
our country.Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for
Iraq... Why don't we just give them ours? It was
written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for
over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
The real reason that we can't have theTen
Commandmentsposted in a courthouse or Congress is this --
you cannot post 'Thou Shalt NotSteal' 'ThouShalt Not
Commit Adultery' and 'Thou Shall NotLie' in a building full
of lawyers, judges andpoliticians.... it creates ahostile work
environment.

D80

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google