CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Just needed to share...

Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
ultimuttone
Just needed to share...

I haven't been around much lately, and as some of you know have actually put most of my collection up for sale.
When I look at them on paper(computer) it is easy to say "okay I can part with that" but I am having a hard time actually doing it. Every time I open a tub to feed, water, or clean I see a little face I know and have come to love. Each one has their own special place in my heart. The one that I wouldn't eat for ages, the one that regurged every other meal for months, the one that has gone from a nasty little snot to a real sweetie and vica versa, how gorgeous the coloring is coming in on that one, etc. Absolutely no one in my 'real' life understands this.
I have only been trying to sell them locally both because I am not certified to ship and I am spread so thin it is hard to find time to carry out transactions. I know I need to do it in order to make other things going on in my life work out, but I am having a very hard time with it. I know others have gone through this, how did you make it happen?
To top it all off, I had my first cornsnake death. A little het hypo that was getting a wonderful silver ground color(Dio for those of you who remember him). I have absolutely no clue why. I went to feed him and he was dead. Temps have been good, eating fine, shedding fine, just gone. Even though he was one on my llist to sell, I was heartbroken.
I don't really have a point with this post. I just needed to share with someone who would understand "just snakes".

Old 06-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
dionythicus
It's too bad that life has gotten in the way of your hobby. I hope you're able to get things squared away soon and maybe you will be able to keep more than you think. I'm so sorry about the little one dying. I hope your life gets better soon.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 AM   #3
diamondlil
How many are you keeping? I can't imagine having to do what you are, and I've only had my first snake since October. Sorry to hear about the sudden death too, hope things get better soon.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
janew
So sorry to hear about your little one, and that you're having to sell so many. I truly can't even begin to imagine how it must feel to have to say goodbye to animals you've grown to love. You have all my sympathies.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #5
diamondlil
Just read your post again- 'JUST SNAKES'! I don't understand that way of thinking at all, and can't see anyone who posts here not caring about your situation. When my degu's vet bills were over £100 and he had to be euthanised anyway, I met that 'it's only a pet' reaction at work, and had to force my mouth to stay shut and walk away.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
Plissken
I completely understand how you must be feeling. Every animal comes with a story. I could never part with any of my pets.
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It sounds like a nightmare. Best of luck in getting back on your feet.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Roy Munson
R.I.P. Dio. I certainly remember him Traci, and I'm sorry to hear that he's gone.

I don't envy the collection reduction that you are facing. Sometimes there's a fine line between breeder/hobbyist and pet keeper. It sucks to have to place certain values on animals based on their place in the breeding program, with little or no regard to their temperaments or your feelings for them. I just got rid of one of my sweetest adults (male coral snow), and I still feel like a traitor for having done so. He just didn't fit any real plan I had, and rack space is at a premium.

Good luck doing what you've gotta do. I'm hoping that everything works out to your benefit!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
peep_827
Oh, I do feel your pain . . .

I have been seriously financially impaired lately . . . Which is part of the reason I haven't been on the forums that much, all the pretty snakes that I can't have bum me out. My snakes won't be old enough to breed until next year, and I feel like I'm sort of in limbo with them.

I decided I want a crestie. I really want a crestie. And I really want to get rid of that stupid hybrid I bought . . . so I looked into trading at a reputable pet store. I can't trade it straight across tho, so I ended up choosing another that isn't turning out how I'd hoped, and another that is a "spare" - sort of. So, I went from actually wanting to get rid of one snake to seriously considering trading 3 snakes for 1 gecko. I had it all worked out in my mind, but then I look at their little snakey faces and I feel like a TRAITOR.

But the fact of the matter is that when you have an expensive hobby like reptiles, and aren't to the point of breeding/selling babies yet, I guess sometimes you have to make these difficult choices. Am I doing myself any favors keeping snakes I know I won't use in my breeding program? And here I am, I've never bred snakes before and I'm already planning 3 clutches for next year . . . and 6 for the year after . . . plus I am going to have a zillion holdbacks . . . Even if I trade those 3 snakes, and only buy 1 more (I still need a male for one project) by the end of next summer I could easily have 20 snakes. I know that doesn't seem like a lot to many of you, but I am truly small time, I can't even begin to hope for a reptile room for at least 4 more years unless I come into a lot of money! I've got to keep it small!!!

I'm sorry Traci, this has turned into my personal rant, but I have been going through the same thing!!! It sucks. And another thing is that I know that if I trade my snakes for a gecko, I'm gonna have to love it! I'm probably being more picky than if I were shelling out my cash . . . supposing I had any. Again, I do feel your pain. And I am sending +++ thoughts your way that you are able to find good homes for your little snakes soon, and you'll feel better. I know you have a lot of really nice snakes, which ones are you keeping? And I'm sorry to hear one died too, that's always hard.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
ghosthousecorns
Traci, so sorry to hear life is being rough right now... I feel bad if you are going through a hard time. Don't be a stranger on here, and try to keep a few of your very favorite snakes if you can

Old 06-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Wintermute
It must really hard for you, especially if no-one in the "real-world" understands how difficult it must be.

I do think it's something for us new keepers to really consider. It's so easy to just go ahead and get carried away. (I'm in no way suggesting that ultimateone or anyone else got "carried away", I'm just musing on the general topic of having to part with our animals). But a corn can live for up to 20 years, and no-one can say for sure that circumstances won't change, and may be left to make a heartbreaking decision. Family matters, job changes, emigrating, nothing can really be ruled out. I know if Vin Diesel showed up and said "Hey Hannah, wanna travel the world with me?" I'd be there like a shot, corn or no corn Joking aside, I think it's something to consider before a collection reaches a size that could be problematic if difficult times appear.

Hannah

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google