CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How often should I feed my snake?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
SQUID67
How often should I feed my snake?

A coworker of mine only feeds his ball python once a week, however I read online that often young cornsnakes will feed twice a week, and this is fine. However, I will point out that last week the first time I fed my snake I gave him one pinky, as normal. The second time, nearer the end of the week I as an experiment tried feeding him a second pinky, and he accepted it.

Given that I am inexperienced I am not sure if he should be eating more than one pinky at each time, or if he is just an opportunistic eater. I don't want to overfeed him, but I also do not want to underfeed him. Any tips?

Also, just to clarify, I should move him on to fuzzies only after he grows as thick as a fuzzy, right?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
claire.chapman11
I think every 5 days is a good amount.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
claire.chapman11
And yes, as long as the prey is about the same size as the thickest part of the snake.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Rigby & Marcy
The best feeding protocol is weighing the snake and the food items with an accurate scale that measures in grams. Then refer to the Munson feeding chart which you will find two posts down from this on the same page of the forum. I have always fed a little lighter than the chart suggests but it tells you the appropriate number of days between feedings for each prey size.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
SQUID67
Thanks for the info. I will try weighing my snake and refer to the chart.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
jagodzinski
Like Rigby&Marcy said, use some caution with the Munson plan as it is deemed a little aggressive by some. For example, if it says to move the the next class at x grams, maybe wait until your snake is x+3 grams.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
SQUID67
Okay. According to the plan he is just about ready to move up to fuzzies. However, I will wait until he gains a few more grams of weight.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
jessmarie
I personally don't use "the plan." But instead gauge my food size by snake size. 1.5x the size of the snake is good. I feed hatchlings every 4 days when possible and every 7 when they get a little older. I continue to feed weekly through adulthood

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google