CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

new snake feeding questions??

Old 10-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
Zimmer
new snake feeding questions??

I have seen lots of opinions about whether to feed your snake in the enclosure or to remove her to a separate feeding tub..... and lots of people arguing that it doesn't matter either way. Obviously I don't want to have problems with cage aggression or hand/food confusion when reaching into her cage. But it also seems like handling immediately after eating to remove her from the feeding tub and back into the enclosure could be stressful and if she's still in feeding mode, a hand might look/smell awfully tasty..... I guess I can see the pro's and con's of each feeding style, and I'm not necessarily looking to start up a debate, but I'm wondering what you all personally do at home with feeding your snakes, and what has and hasn't worked for you?

I'm unsure how my new snake was fed at her previous home, and so I'm looking for insights into how I should offer her the first meal with us as feeding day is going to be coming up! Possibly tomorrow, or if not tomorrow then Saturday.

Personally I'm inclined to remove her from the enclosure into a feeding tub because I want to SEE everything!!

Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I feed outside the cage in a separate "Feeding Box."

It's not necessary, but a lot of us do it. There are also a lot of folks that don't.

The main reason I feed in a separate box- I do a thorough weekly cleaning of the cage. (Cleanliness is necessary for a happy healthy snake). I have to remove everything including the snake to do the weekly cleaning, so I time it with the weekly feedings. While he's swallowing his mouse, I'm cleaning his cage.

Other people have other reasons-

Some mice (live ones) have ticks, mites parasites etc..... and you don't want to bring them into the cage.

Some people don't want their corn snake to associate their hands coming into the cage with feeding, so as to lessen the likelyhood of being bitten by mistake.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
golsama
I feed my corns in a separate feeding box outside of the cage as well. I too time cage cleaning with feedings. Plus, one of my snakes also began associating me in her cage as dinner time no matter how often I handled her and began to try and bite. Now that she gets fed separately she hasn't reacted this way. I have found that all of my corns go into hunt mode when placed in their feeding boxes. I wait until the mouse is about halfway down their bodies before placing them back in. I let them crawl out of the feeding box back into the cage without picking them up. I haven't had anyone regurge doing this.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Zimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by golsama View Post
I feed my corns in a separate feeding box outside of the cage as well. I too time cage cleaning with feedings. Plus, one of my snakes also began associating me in her cage as dinner time no matter how often I handled her and began to try and bite. Now that she gets fed separately she hasn't reacted this way. I have found that all of my corns go into hunt mode when placed in their feeding boxes. I wait until the mouse is about halfway down their bodies before placing them back in. I let them crawl out of the feeding box back into the cage without picking them up. I haven't had anyone regurge doing this.
Aha I see now I was wondering how to get them from the feeding tub back into the cage.... it seems so obvious now, lol, but I was so worried about "handling after feeding"!! And our snake is very docile and sweet tempered so I really don't want to ruin that! I guess it's hard to say how every snake will respond to feeding in the cage, I'm sure there are some that do just fine. But I do like the idea of weekly clean up while feeding!

Next question: How long does it generally take from the time of feeding to the time of pooping? She hasn't gone since I've had her, and she was fed a few days before I brought her home. Should I wait for a BM before feeding, or did that probably happen with the breeder before I bought her?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
nancyg
if you don't have a separate feeding box yet, I found that a black 'file tote' with a clear hinged lid worked very well, I think the black sides make them feel a bit more secure, and you can watch through the clear lid (I put a weight on the lid)

I've used feeding time the same way as Karl, it's a great time to change out bedding, wipe things down and give water bowls a better wash.

It is similar to this one, but mine does not have handles. http://www.givesomethingback.com/Ite...temID=AVTTLF2B

A possible thought that might avoid 'hand/food' confusion, I often will take the snake out, and check her over and handle her for a bit while the food is warmed.. and I'll put the mouse (with tongs) in the enclosure, then put/let the snake crawl back into the cage where it finds the meal.. So the meal isn't being 'put into' the environment with the snake.. it's already there when the snake comes back. I have no idea if this makes a difference to the snake or not but maybe they will associate eating after being handled- it certainly won't hurt if it trains them to go easily back into the cage.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
the time from feeding to pooping can vary.

It depends on the age of the snake and the temps in the cage.

Generally, if all goes well, a baby will poop about 2 days after eating, and an adult can go 2 to 4 days after. (Mine, a "sub-adult" poops like clockwork 3 days after eating).

Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Zimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
the time from feeding to pooping can vary.

It depends on the age of the snake and the temps in the cage.

Generally, if all goes well, a baby will poop about 2 days after eating, and an adult can go 2 to 4 days after. (Mine, a "sub-adult" poops like clockwork 3 days after eating).
Good to know!! OK. So she probably went before I brought her home (we've had her since Saturday).... Looks like we're all clear to feed our girl! Can't wait! Pretty sure I'm more excited for feeding time than Zelda

Old 10-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #8
Zimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg View Post
A possible thought that might avoid 'hand/food' confusion, I often will take the snake out, and check her over and handle her for a bit while the food is warmed.. and I'll put the mouse (with tongs) in the enclosure, then put/let the snake crawl back into the cage where it finds the meal.. So the meal isn't being 'put into' the environment with the snake.. it's already there when the snake comes back. I have no idea if this makes a difference to the snake or not but maybe they will associate eating after being handled- it certainly won't hurt if it trains them to go easily back into the cage.
This is a great idea. Another thing that seems so simple it didn't even occur to me. Thank you!!

Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
Zimmer
Well..... First attempted feeding tonight. No luck. I feel like she has been fed in her enclosure in her past life because she was very put off about the feeding tub, I think. She showed zero interest in her mouse. I put the mouse in the tub and then her in with it. After about 15 minutes of nothing I used tongs to dangle the mouse in front of her. No response. Closed her up in the tub alone in the darkish room for about 1.5 hours... Nothing. So I tossed the mouse and put her away for the evening. When do I try again, and do I repeat the same routine? Or try feeding in her cage? Urgh....

Old 10-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
sian.kelly
Leave her a couple days, you don't want to stress her out from trying to feed too often. She'll be fine without food for a bit longer, so not to worry. It's up to you where you decide to feed and where you think is better.

I personally feed in the tank, using a pair of tongs to dangle the mouse in front my guy and he readily takes it. I've had no problems tank aggression or associating hands with food. The only thing you really need to watch out for is impaction, but you can put down a bit of toilet roll or something to help prevent this. Hope this helps a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google