CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

coming back for regurges

Old 02-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Skeet
coming back for regurges

skeet regurged on 12/16 from a pinky that was too big for him. before that he was eating really well. I fed him again on 12/28 and he ate it no problem. he fed again on 1/17 and regurged it on 1/19. i gave him a while to recoupe and raised my temps. I then fed him a pink head on 2/3 and again on 2/8, which he kept down. Last night i tried feeding him one of the froazen bodies left over and he refused to eat it. should i continue just giving him heads? He only come out for maybe an hour at night to drink or poop, but he gets active after i hold him for like 10 minutes. he's also really skinny, and i'm starting to worry about him, he never leaves the cold side even when it gets to like 67 at night.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
JTGoff69
I would wait a few days and give him another head. I believe Kathy said something about waiting until they've had 5 meals of pink heads before trying to bump them back up again, and also I wouldn't handle him at all until he is back to regularly feeding, that is adding to his stress.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
CAV
What makes you think the pinkie was too big and subsequently caused the snake to regurge?

Old 02-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Skeet
going by the 1 to 1.5 times larger than the snake rule, it was probably 2x. it's all they had at the store and the guy told me it would be fine. But he also had a hard time getting the whole thing down.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet
going by the 1 to 1.5 times larger than the snake rule, it was probably 2x. it's all they had at the store and the guy told me it would be fine. But he also had a hard time getting the whole thing down.
Sometimes what seems to appear as a snake having a "hard time getting it down" is simply just a snake eating. I am inclined to think prey size is not the issue, since he had been eating fine in the past. Stress and improper temps are more likely. I would cease with handling and kick up the ambient room temp if you can. Try putting a long hide(paper towel roll) that spans from warm side to cool, so the snake can find it's ideal temp and still feel secure.
This is just my take on the situation. I have saved a few and lost a couple.
Good luck

Mike B

Old 02-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
Skeet
Thanks for the input. I have stopped handling, and my temps are in the high 80s on the warm side and mid 70s on the cool side. at nights the cold side goes down to like 67-68 on really cold nights. compaired to my other hatchling of the same age, he really seems to enjoy handling. when i put my hand out he'll usually climb right onto me and won't let his hold go when i try and put him back. irregardless i think ur right and i won't handle him unless nessesary, (tank cleaning, and feeding). In regard to leaving a long hid that spans the entire gradiant, he has 5 differnt hides to choose from 2 on each side and one in the middle and he almost always goes to the coldest one.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
hediki
u feed on th 1/17 then the 1/19, i think thats too quick because your suppose to let the food digest for 3-4 days and your feeding on the 3rd day so i would asume that why he/she regurged is because there is another food item in its intestine and canot accomidate 2 mice.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Skeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hediki
u feed on th 1/17 then the 1/19, i think thats too quick because your suppose to let the food digest for 3-4 days and your feeding on the 3rd day so i would asume that why he/she regurged is because there is another food item in its intestine and canot accomidate 2 mice.
he ate on the 17th and regurgitated that meal on the 19th

Old 02-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #9
JTGoff69
Good deal Skeet, let us know how he does.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Alias47
The only other thing I can add...when I have had problem feeders...especially after feeding them just heads...or brained pinks...I have had some that will refuse a headless body...but will readily eat a whole pink...

Might have something to do with scent (this IS how the snake tells the head from the tail in their prey)...

I just feed the bodies to my garbage disposals...those kingsnakes WILL eat anything...You were right, Serp!!