CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Guess that herp!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #31
Jynx
They are native to France, and are called Viperine snakes because they look very similar to vipers, especially in threat displays, head shape (when threatened), and color schemes.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #32
Jynx
I know its a Virginia species (Earth snake), but I can't pin exactly which kind... Rough Earth Snake (Virginia striatula)?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #33
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
They are native to France, and are called Viperine snakes because they look very similar to vipers, especially in threat displays, head shape (when threatened), and color schemes.
Cool. That Nerodia/Natrix look is unmistakable. And cool that you'd know they're distant relatives of Thamnophis.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #34
vetusvates
Quote:
I know its a Virginia species (Earth snake), but I can't pin exactly which kind... Rough Earth Snake (Virginia striatula)?
Close. Close.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #35
Jynx
I'll admit that I have a psuedo fascination with watersnakes, especially their temperaments and behavior. And I have a friend that is obsessed with all things Thamnophis. She is the one that spotted it at the herp show.

Ok, that leaves me with Smooth Earth Snake (Virginia valeriae elegans)?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #36
vetusvates
Quote:
I'll admit that I have a psuedo fascination with watersnakes, especially their temperaments and behavior. And I have a friend that is obsessed with all things Thamnophis. She is the one that spotted it at the herp show.

Ok, that leaves me with Smooth Earth Snake (Virginia valeriae elegans)?
Correct scientific name. Western Smooth Earth Snake. Excellent. They abound in garden district neighborhoods of the larger cities throughout Louisiana. Although I never even saw one until I was 30. I thought it was a rarity, until I had caught ten by noon one balmy March morning.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #37
Jynx
They are neat looking little snakes. How cool that you get to see them by you! I tend to miss out on the nifty forest herps.

Ok here's an easy one. I these little guys. Such nifty colors!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #38
vetusvates
Cnemidophorus inornatus heptagrammus. Trans-Pecos Striped Whiptail.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #39
Jynx
No, but close

Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #40
vetusvates
Not "Arizona Striped Whiptail"?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google