• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I am scared out of my wits right now....

There are VERY few vets who treat exotics in the area.
And even fewer who are open when I'm not at work.

I just paid the bill over the phone, and talked my friend Karen into going down and picking her up.
I have a function to attend immediately after work, so Keeper will be spending the night at Karen's, but I'll have her back tomorrow...

I hope the antibiotics help....

Well that's kind of good Beth. I guess? At least it isn't something really immediate like an obstruction would be. Good luck.

I think it's kind of good, yes :)
I am trying to be ready for the inevitable, just in case.
But Keeper doesn't seem to know anything's wrong!

Feces were tested, as well as what came out of the lump, both tested negative for crypto.

Just an FYI, three negative acid fast testings over the next month would need to be done to rule out Crypto. You can get false negatives if they aren't in a shedding cycle. But I don't think it's Crypto...Not based on your description...So I wouldn't worry about retesting.

Just an FYI, three negative acid fast testings over the next month would need to be done to rule out Crypto. You can get false negatives if they aren't in a shedding cycle. But I don't think it's Crypto...Not based on your description...So I wouldn't worry about retesting.

I know. I am planning on retesting anyway, and keeping her in a different room, just to be safe. But thank you for the reminder. These past few days have got my head spinning!

I am so glad things to be ok for Keeper (at this point anyway)! Keep us posted on the old girl! I'll be sure to say my snake prays for her (and you too)!

Hello Bethany. I'm going to go way way far away out on a limb here. Blockage seems to be the focus of all of this. Some of what appears herein is a bit unpleasant on the eyes, but perhaps, overall, some of this may lead to a future understanding or treatment of snakes in general, when they experience what your snake is now enduring.

# years ago I had severe pain in my lower right side, and swelling, and some symptoms with great similarity to what you are describing of your pet, which like me, has a backbone and a digestive tract. I went for the X-ray, which showed some sort of blockage, and some of my organs above and including the appendix were swollen. The physician informed me it might be either kidney or gall stones, which are enlarged calcium deposits. Now, not knowing if you provide well water or city water, both of which often contain bits of sand, calcium, flouride- AND, not being psychic enough yet to "see" what was within the digestive tracts of all of the food items your pet has ever consumed- it is difficult for me to say if these might be troubles. Either stone, even the little itty bitty ones, when in contact with the lining of the lower digestive tract, can lead to swelling and irritation and inflamation. Thus, 'blockage' occurs. These tiny stones typically have many spurs of calcite growth on them, much like stalagmites and stalactites and other natural mineral formations, except they happen on a microscopic level. From an x-ray, they may not show up at all.

So my physician and I talked a bit, and hypothetical questions/answers were exchanged. Worst case scenario was a $23,000.00 operation to remove my gall bladder. A LidaScan was scheduled for me for a week later. (Where one drinks the radioactive juice and the machines make some pretty color movies of where it goes inside thyne body).

Google is my friend. I Googled LOTS. One of the frequent side effects of having one's gall bladder removed is Diabietes. So I googled more. Eventually I found some natural cures for gall stones and kidney stones. Visually shopping around for the right recipe for me ensued. So I found one which suited my preferences, and followed it. Granted, the human body has two bowel places to release from, which is one of our differences from the snakes. That aside, I fasted for 9 hours, then consumed carrot juice for 6 hours, then water for 4 hours. This was followed by consuming one cup of pure fresh lemon juice AND 2 cups of Cold Pressed Olive Oil within a 2 hour period. Then off to bed to sleep. It is a wretched thing to try to drink straight olive oil, and there comes an overwhelming urge to hurl. That aside, I did it and kept it down.

The following morning, about 11 am, I put a piece of cheese cloth across the basin just under the commode seat, to catch my waste. There was a lot of waste; chunks of red licorice I'd eaten 6 weeks earlier, amongst other things. As the recipe suggested, I took the mess outside and sprayed it over a pail with the water gun. One of those rubber glove operations. Long story short, I stopped counting when I got over 300 small gall stones, the products of having consumed well water and other non-distilled waters during my lifetime.

Now I realize your pet and I have our differences, but I can't help but wonder, what kind of fat/oil would pass rapidly through a snake? Could it be force-fed through a syringe with a tube? I used to force-feed some of the snakes I had many eons ago, utilizing this method. The tube was standard aquarium tubing, the cut off end which would enter the snake was heated with a flame (bbq lighter- keeps the fire away from the fingers) to smooth down the cut/potentially sharp edge where the tubing is cut at.

I should also point out here I am not a vet, or someone trying to sell you lots of bills and medicines I make money on, nor that I have any clue whatsoever if any of this would ever work in an instance such as yours. What I do know is that for $20.00 in ingredients, my LidaScan came back negative, I got to keep my gall bladder, and I saved $22, 980.00.

But then again, I'm the newbie, and probably way out of line.
Kind thoughts and prayers for your pet.
dave

I only read the beginning of this thread and the last couple of posts:

When I had an obstructed baby boa constrictor my vet recommended mineral oil. I used a syringe (no needle) and squirted about 2cc's down his mouth. Within the hour he took the biggest, noisiest, stinkiest poop ever. Most of the blockage appeared to be hardened urates. There was also a lot of FUR, I had been feeding him hamsters. He was fine after that.

Didn't the vet tell her it WASN'T a blockage?? Maybe I misunderstood.

Those ARE very good methods for treating a blockage though and I do a similar "Liver Cleanse" myself, and get TONS of stones each time. I couldn't imagine NOT doing this occasionally. I'm glad I never have to worry about getting a blockage like that since I'm starting the cleansing so young...

Dave that is an interesting story, much of which might be filed under “Things people used to Believe”. As Nanci pointed out, it has been decided that it was not an intestinal blockage.

Gallstones are normal and everyone has them. They do not cause any problems unless they become lodged in the bile duct. The liver produces bile that is stored in the gallbladder. The bile is released through the bile duct into the small intestines. It’s function is to help neutralize acids in the food we eat and also to help digest fat. By overdosing on acid and fat (lemon juice and olive oil) you caused your gallbladder to regurgitate it’s contents. To dump any microscopic stones you may have doesn’t really accomplish anything except to entertain very strange people. Only stones big enough to become lodged and cause a blockage are of any concern.

But the real reason I posted was simple to make an observation. A person who puts cheese cloth across the toilet bowl so he can catch and then spend the afternoon examining what comes out (cataloging as he goes) is just plain sick and wrong. You need help son, and not from a gastroenterologist.

I've actually heard of what Dave speaks of. You don't want to lose your gallbladder, because within a couple years you have the same symptoms, anyway. I've looked into that, just never drank the oil, because fortunately taking prescription antacids relieved 90% of the pain.

It's a HIDA Scan not a LIDA Scan.

You do not get diabetes from having your gall bladder removed.

Stones do not cause your bowels or appendix to swell.

And since the snake in question was eating, not regurging and passing stools there is no significant blockage that would cause that amount of swelling.

Good luck with your snake Beth.

The lemon juice is a natural acid. It breaks down the calcium. The oil acts as a lubricant to make it pass quickly. I did not have Intestinal Blockage, I had blockage caused by Inflamation Elsewhere, and the cause was NOT from what I had intentionally consumed. It was caused by built up foreign material my body could not metabolize. Anti-Acids neutralize the acids in the stomach. This causes the human body to create an overload of acids, and thus digest the food humans have eaten. Acids are necessary to metabloize and break down foods in the digestive tract. If not enough acids are present, then one feels pain. An alternative to taking anti-acid medications is to consume 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Vinegar is acidic and often accomplishes the same results as Western medication 'antacid'. Usually the results happen within 20 minutes. 3 tablespoons of vinegar is far less costly and distructive to one's liver than Western prescriptions, however, most Westerners are too freaked out by a little discomfort and instead prefer to seek help from a medical professional whom gets bonus points and kickbacks from pharmeceutical companies. By LAW, they are only allowed to Prescribe Medicines. Not holistic nor natural cures. The Hidascan Lidascan, whatever, person doing the test told me he did the same thing, and cured himself for $40.00 (he used a more expensive kind of cold pressed olive oil, felt he was worth it)
Because he is not a doctor, he was able to tell me this with immunity.
Once again, we seem to be getting off-track here.
"What can a snake ingest to help it pass a blockage"? seems to be the original question which was asked. Please, let's keep this about the snake. Thank you in advance for any help in regards to that matter.
warm regards, dave

The snake is blocked up.

Oh Dave, I’m starting to like you more. If you will allow, I would like to break your last post into a few pieces. Like a line item veto.

The lemon juice is a natural acid. It breaks down the calcium. The oil acts as a lubricant to make it pass quickly. I did not have Intestinal Blockage, I had blockage caused by Inflamation Elsewhere,

You said your problem was gallstones. What you put into your mouth does not go into your gallbladder. In fact the only thing that goes into your bladder is bile, produced by your liver. Gallstones are crystalized bile, not calcium. The lemon juice has no calcium to break down, the oil is in your bowel, lubricating poop.

and the cause was NOT from what I had intentionally consumed. It was caused by built up foreign material my body could not metabolize

The medical term for material that your body cannot metabolize is poop.

Anti-Acids neutralize the acids in the stomach. This causes the human body to create an overload of acids, and thus digest the food humans have eaten. Acids are necessary to metabloize and break down foods in the digestive tract. If not enough acids are present, then one feels pain.

Anti-Acids are typically taken for people with Reflux Disease. This is caused by the sphincter at the top of the stomach not closing completely and allowing acid to enter the esophagus. The pain one feels is their esophagus being digested. Hydrochloric Acid breaks down the food in the stomach. Once the food enters the duodenum it is mixed with bile which neutralizes the acids.

An alternative to taking anti-acid medications is to consume 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Vinegar is acidic and often accomplishes the same results as Western medication 'antacid'. Usually the results happen within 20 minutes. 3 tablespoons of vinegar is far less costly and distructive to one's liver than Western prescriptions,

Vinegar, acidic acid, is such a weak acid, if you were to put a cucumber in it and let it soak for a month, you would get a pickle. Vinegar is not going to digest anything.

most Westerners are too freaked out by a little discomfort and instead prefer to seek help from a medical professional whom gets bonus points and kickbacks from pharmeceutical companies. By LAW, they are only allowed to Prescribe Medicines. Not holistic nor natural cures.

My brother is a drug dealer. He sells pharmaceuticals to doctors. It is his job to get doctors to prescribe the drugs his company makes. He is so heavily regulated to prevent what you imply, he can’t even take a doctor to lunch. He can give note pads and pens to the office but he can not give anything of monitory value to the Doctor.

Are you nuts? You mean to say that a doctor can only prescribe pills and cannot tell me to eat a healthy diet and to exercise daily. You mean that he can’t tell a diabetic to avoid sugar and starchy foods. He can’t tell a fat guy to eat more fruit and vegetables. What is the weather like on your planet?

The Hidascan Lidascan, whatever, person doing the test told me he did the same thing, and cured himself for $40.00 (he used a more expensive kind of cold pressed olive oil, felt he was worth it)
Because he is not a doctor, he was able to tell me this with immunity.

So the Lida scan guy was practicing medicine without a license. And you decided to take the advice of a person with no education instead of the Doctors advice.

Once again, we seem to be getting off-track here.
"What can a snake ingest to help it pass a blockage"? seems to be the original question which was asked.

The snake is blocked up.

No actually nobody asked that question, you just started spouting answers. And No, the snake is not blocked up.

Actually, goggle does not agree nor disagree. It simply links you to information no matter how foolish. Ask foolish questions and get foolish answers.

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wade again.'

Beth, I'm glad Keeper is okay and I hope she continues to stay healthy!

She doesn't LOOK ok....and hasn't eaten in 2 weeks, but she's alert and active and her sweet lil' self :)

Back