CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

covering flex watt in a cage

Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
abynum1
covering flex watt in a cage

Hey guys, I'm starting on a 4 level shelf type cage system. Each cage will be at least 36"L x 22"w x 15"H. I'm thinking about using the 11" flex watt. My question is this: Can I place the flex watt directly onto the wood bottom, and what do I cover it with so that the snake won't come into contact with it? I've read that it needs some spacing, but how would I do that in this situation? Can I cover it with some thin plexi glass and maybe drill air holes through it? (the plexi glass that is.) I've done the searches, but everything seems to be written about rack systems where people are just placing tubs on top of the heat tape. Mine will be placed along the floor of the cages. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
crotalis40741
Make sure your flex is well thermostat regulated for the application you are talking about. You could get ceramic tiles that are natural looking and place them on the flex.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
abynum1
Yep, gonna run them off of one or two thermostats depending on how big of a temp fluctuation I get between the upper and lower cages. I looked at some ceramic tile at Lowes, but they seem like they may be too thick for the heat to get thru?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Blue Apple Herps
Use a piece of plexiglass/acrylic. Lay that over the flexwatt and then seal it with silicone. You want to isolate the flexwatt from any chance of water or moisture getting onto it (from urates, spilled water bowl, etc). Don't put any holes in the plexiglass, again, you don't want to risk a short.

And you'll be fine off one thermostat. There might be a degree difference or two, but not enough to justify another thermostat. Especially with corns since they don't require super exact temps to thrive.

Just make sure you let the silicone fully cure before putting any snake in there.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
abynum1
Thanks, I'll use the plexi glass with no holes. How thick of a sheet do I need?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Blue Apple Herps
I always used 1/4". When I'd have doors cut at a local plastics company, they always had tons of scrap acrylic they'd just give me for free, so its just what I used.

I suppose thinner would work; the biggest reason for putting it down is to "waterproof" the flexwatt.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
abynum1
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
joann42
Also if your worried about having a gap you can use small washers between the flexwatt and the acrylic/ceramic tile.I taped my flex right to the bottom of the ceramic tile and set it directly on the shelf.So far Ive not had problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google