CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Shedding box?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
logic
Shedding box?

Just wondering how many people here use shedding boxes?!
The reason I ask is...

I have never had problems with any of my corns in the past, in this area...
But, recently I have moved and noticed an obvious temp/humidity diff from my previous home (same city).

All my snakes have been shedding, eating, etc. normally...
except my new blizzard... I just added him to the collect about 3 months ago and he is a hatchling...
well, the problem is that he has shed about 3 times since he arrived and he has had 3 incomplete sheds...

The first 2 times it was just a small bit of skin remaining on the tip of his tail or a bit further up...
For fear of it cutting off circulation and/or creating an infection, I added a shedding box for a day, and then manually removed the rest. It took me about 15-20 mins, until I was satisfied. Keep in mind, his skin tone made it more difficult to tell if it was all off, especially on the tip of his tail, where there is a slight color change.

A few days ago was his 3rd shed and it was really bad. 3/4 of his old skin had not been removed. Per Kathy's book, I tried the easy route again - the shed box. This time he didn't even feel like going into it. So today, when I arrived home, once again I had to manually remove it (using a damp paper towel)....
and what do I get for my trouble...!?
He either pooped on me or musked me...

Going forward, I may just start using a shedding box every time I see that he is getting ready to shed...

The odd thing is that, none of my other snakes have had any problems at all with shedding... and they all kept in the same room - he is the only one...

Do you think his morph has anything to do with it perhaps...?!

The other odd thing is, that both my new hatchling have not been shedding as much as my other snakes have when they were very young. I am currently feeding both of them 2 small pinks every week or so. I was originally giving them 1 pink about 4 days apart, but their bulges would disappear within 24 hrs, and they would active again… any ideas there…?!

Thanks in advance…!!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Penman6668
I use a shed box with my ball python. She does not she well.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
logic
so perhaps it is an individual snake characteristic...!?

Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
logic
so I take it no one else here as every needed to use a shedding box...!?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Nanci
My adult corn and baby king both use shedding boxes. I have upside down disposeable tupperware things with the lids on, with an appropriate entrance cut in the front. Filled with store bought moss. Pretty damp. Both go in and stay until the shed is complete, and then maybe use it another day or so if I don't remove the hide. This shed was the king's first experience with it. His previous shed (first shed for me) was in three pieces so this time I gave him a moist hide. He loved it. His shed was one piece this time. I also lay a piece of plastic wrap loosely over the top of the viv, and sprinkle a small amount of water about the viv one time.

Nanci

Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
BeckyG
I just mist the viv, and don't usually use a shedding box, though I have in the past.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Neyals
errrr..... stupid question, whats a shedding box?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyals
errrr..... stupid question, whats a shedding box?
not a stupid question at all...

basically...
its a hide of some sort, (ie. tupperwareth, an upside water dish, upside down flowerpot, - with access etc.) - somewhere that can hold a decent humidity level and be tight enough for a snake to have some friction when moving around in it.

This 'container' is basically stuffed with some moist material, (ie. moss, paper towels, etc.). The snake can then go into this hide to shed its skin, more easily. The goal is to have a single piece of intact skin, rather than pieces (which usually results from low humidity levels, and I am assuming possible genetics?! - not sure yet, first time I've encountered this problem).

Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Nanci
Neither of my guys ever shed in the hide- they come out to shed.

Nanci

Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Paradox
Ditto, my snake sheds around the edge of the viv...I come home and there's a long skin stretched at right angles round a corner or two. Always makes me chuckle.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google