CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

? for knowledgable.

Old 05-03-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
snakefreak16
Exclamation ? for knowledgable.

i am new to this, so bear with me. i would like to know about the snakes' personality... are most docile? or do they tend to bite and be aggravated?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2002, 12:24 AM   #2
Iris
most are docile but hatchlings will be nervous at first. With handling, they may become very calm. Remember though, as with humans, corns are individuals and each has a separate, distinct personality. Some may be more calm and others may become irritated more easily. It all depends on the snake's personality. OF course, if it is mistreated or not handled for a long time, it may become leery of humans and become "wild."
Rarely do they bite unless of course the person's body part smells like mice. They rely on their sense of smell rather than sight.
Are you interested in getting a snake? If so, some people recommend for beginners to get a yearling or a juvenile rather than hatchlings because the older snakes have calmed down a bit and owners/breeders may have had a chance to observe the snake's personality and behavior.

Old 05-04-2002, 01:32 AM   #3
Matt L
Iris pretty much covered it, but I thought I would add something.
Cornsnakes are your best choice to start with, that is if you have even considered something else. Some others can be notorius biters and never calm down. Much of the disposition of you snake is dependent on you and how often you interact with it. If the only time you open its tank is to feed it, don't expect much! Snakes don't show affection like a dog, but they will become very comfortable with you if you give them the chance. They have got to be the easiest pet to care for, and really compared to some, rather inexpensive. Best of Luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google