CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

OW! I just accidently did something horrible

Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
diamondlil
Aren't corns illegal in Oz? So no vet treatment for Forky?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Susan
You're not the first person to catch a tail in a lid and you sure won't be the last. I have personally done that I don't know how many times, especially with the newer hatchlings in their deli cups. They freak out when it's caught, but end up just fine. And to make you feel better, read this thread...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...highlight=neck

And this is an update on that snake...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...highlight=Bill

Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
the10thplanet
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Aren't corns illegal in Oz? So no vet treatment for Forky?

Yes unfortunately corns are illegal in Aus but I do have a good breeder friend who breeds corns and other exotics who helps me out with any health issues with my snake.

I couldn't resist corn snakes! They're just too pretty and from what I hear they are not tempermental at all, unlike native snakes in Australia.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Emily1188
I did some reading on the subject... there is a pretty hefty fine for owning a corn in Australia... I believe I read $10,000 - ouch!

Just be careful, that's all I'm saying. Hope your little guy heals up quickly.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
the10thplanet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily1188 View Post
I did some reading on the subject... there is a pretty hefty fine for owning a corn in Australia... I believe I read $10,000 - ouch!

Just be careful, that's all I'm saying. Hope your little guy heals up quickly.

I know it's horrible isn't it. But I love my corn and I know everyone here understands. I hope It's not against the rules me posting here from Australia.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Silvergrin
Well it's not against forum rules, but I want to say that I'm really against having a non-native pet when it's against the law; haven't feral cats and cane toads wreaked enough havoc in Aussi? I like corns and all but I'd hate to see them wipe out Womas or something Those laws are there for a very good reason.

I think your snake will be fine, and you'll do what you'll do regardless of what a stranger on the internet says, but I do believe there's a reason those laws are in place. I think it's one of the greater tragedies our race has propagated, all the beautiful species that have already been wiped out in Australia, Hawaii, etc, and the many more that may be gone soon thanks to non-native species invasion.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #17
the10thplanet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergrin View Post
Well it's not against forum rules, but I want to say that I'm really against having a non-native pet when it's against the law; haven't feral cats and cane toads wreaked enough havoc in Aussi? I like corns and all but I'd hate to see them wipe out Womas or something Those laws are there for a very good reason.

I think your snake will be fine, and you'll do what you'll do regardless of what a stranger on the internet says, but I do believe there's a reason those laws are in place. I think it's one of the greater tragedies our race has propagated, all the beautiful species that have already been wiped out in Australia, Hawaii, etc, and the many more that may be gone soon thanks to non-native species invasion.

Of course, the laws are in place so the exotic animal population doesn't boom and get out of hand to ruin our ecosystem, but as a sole pet held in captivity they do no harm. Regardless of whether it is morally correct or not to own an exotic animal I don't see any harm (apart from funding the smugglers and dealers) but there will always be a market for exotics.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #18
Silvergrin
If it was a *neutered* exotic pet, I wouldn't see the harm. But, pets can escape, what if your escapee finds another nice escapee... Does the person you got it from breed them? :P

Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #19
diamondlil
For Oz there's also an emphasis on 'bio security', the issue being introduced disease that could affect native wildlife as well as direct competition or predation from introduced specie.
Given that any ill corns can't be seen by vets or have a PM if they die, there's a whole Pandora's box right there. Snakes are, as most of us have first-hand experience of, escape artistes par excellence. Corn carrying crypto slithering out the door just isn't a funny scenario. And with the smuggling out of there of native herps too.......wasn't oophidian paramyxovirus first seen in death adders?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #20
Checkerbelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by the10thplanet View Post
but as a sole pet held in captivity they do no harm.
Just like burmese pythons in Florida.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google