CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Hatchling snake not feeding

Old 06-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
angie_clark
Hatchling snake not feeding

Hi our hatchling is now 12 days old, he shed yesterday after some help using moss. We tried feeding him this afternoon but he not eaten, can anyone offer any advice thanks

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
How did you try feeding him? What sort of setup is he in?

After my babies shed for the first time, I waited a week to offer them their first meals so they would be nice and hungry. When I did feed them, I waited until evening, I put them each into small deli cups, and left them alone for half an hour in the dark. Then I heated up a frozen tiny pinkie really hot, dropped it into the containers, and then left them completely alone in the dark again for an hour. They all ended up eating the very first try, but if any of them hadn't, I would have reheated the pinkie and left it with them overnight. That's what I suggest you try first, but if that doesn't work, Nanci has a great list of feeding tricks: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131573

Old 06-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
angie_clark
He is nearly 2 weeks old we are concerned leaving him another week. We put it in a seperate tub, cut the pinky in half so it could smell it

Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
He can go quite a while with no food. Don't attempt to feed him too often or he'll just get stressed out. And remember that they will still be digesting their yolk sac for the first few days/week, so they won't even be hungry right away.

What size tub did you use and when did you last attempt to feed him?

Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
angie_clark
We used a sweet tub we tried yesterday and today we just put the food in the tub for afternoon. I've now put him back in the other sweet tub on matt

Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
angie_clark
He is drinking water...i guess we are concerned at it has a kink and wanted to see if it could feed hence why we cut pinky in half

Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
angie_clark

Old 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
Okay, well I would wait at least 2 or 3 days before trying again and then try the method I suggested first and if that doesn't work, then start trying the other methods in the link (and make sure to leave a few days in between attempts).

For now, try not to handle or disturb him at all until you're ready to try again. And I'm not sure what size a sweet tub is, but make sure to put him in something very small for his next feeding attempt. That way he can't get away from or ignore the mouse.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
hypnoctopus
I think attempting to feed half a pinkie is a good idea because of his kinks, but otherwise I would still use the method I suggested.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
angie_clark
Thank u thats very helpful i will keep u posted :-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google