CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Mice or rats?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
amanda84
My guy I got just over a month ago. They had him for a year and a half from the pet store. They were feeding him one fuzzy every seven days. It was realized on here he was under fed. So I upped him to hoppers and in just the month I've had him he has shed perfectly but has also visibly gotten thicker. He gained 3 ounces since I've had him too. I'm not positive of that in grams. So I know he is doing well. I want a nice big thick snake when he is adult sized but I don't want over weight. I understand it must be a preference but I am worried about the fact that they could get over weight. I don't want to breed him/her I just want a simple happy snake. So I think I will stick with mice since it seems safer. I really appreciate the information from all parties. It helps me make a better decision.

If I needed to go out of town for awhile and he wasn't going to eat for a bit would a rat be a good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
amanda84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Yes, there's no reason to feed healthy Cornsnakes rats.

I can see feeding rats (size appropriate to what they're used to) underweight Corns to bulk them up, but I'd rather feed mice, with vitamin supplements.

Mystic you mentioned vitamin supplements. Can you explain more? Where I get them, what I do with it, etc?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Karl_Mcknight
Amanda 1 ounce = 28 grams

Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
amanda84
Thank you

Old 08-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda84 View Post
Mystic you mentioned vitamin supplements. Can you explain more? Where I get them, what I do with it, etc?

I'll have to get the name of it later, when I'm at home.
A friend got me started on it, if I had a female that had trouble recovering from egg laying, or a malnurished snake.
She created a "slurry" that included a vitamin supplement and a couple other ingredients (Carnivore Care may have been part of it-it's been years since I have needed it) then inject it into a feeder mouse (f/t of course).

It makes a significant difference in their recovery.

I haven't needed to use it in a while. Most snakes recover just fine, with smaller, more frequent meals.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
amanda84
So it isn't necessary for a snake growing just fine?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
Karl_Mcknight
Most Doctors will tell you Taking Vitamins is a bad idea. They'd rather see us "Eat Right." We get everything we need from the foods we eat. In fact some vitamins can actually do Harm to you if you take them and don't need them. (Vitamin A and Vitamin E for Example). Well, the same applies to animals and our pets. If they are healthy and eating right, they do not need vitamins.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #18
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda84 View Post
So it isn't necessary for a snake growing just fine?

No, as I mentioned in my intial post, I only use it for females having hard time recovering from egg laying, or a malnourished snake.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Most Doctors will tell you Taking Vitamins is a bad idea. They'd rather see us "Eat Right." We get everything we need from the foods we eat. In fact some vitamins can actually do Harm to you if you take them and don't need them. (Vitamin A and Vitamin E for Example). Well, the same applies to animals and our pets. If they are healthy and eating right, they do not need vitamins.
Most Dr will advise patients after a certain age to take multivitamins.
Most vitamins can be obtained through healthy eating, but vitamins are often lost due to freezing, transport time, cooking, etc.

As I mentioned a couple times, I have done this for animals that are either malnourished or having trouble recovering from egg laying, indicating that they are not otherwise healthy.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Karl_Mcknight
not true
Taking certain vitamins are harmful. They store up in the body. I come from a family of Physicians. All doctors I have ever talked with stress eating right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google