• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

British lizard

Where I go ponyriding one of the colts was bitten by an adder this year, he had a nasty wound to his face. I'm planning to go looking around there next summer, now I know they're there.......

diamondlil said:
There's an old stone wall that is brilliant for catching lizards. (I'm old enough to remember before they were protected, you could buy them in the local petshop)
The common lizard isn't protected is it?
I know a few people that keep and breed them.
I know adders and the smooth snake is illegal to capture.
You can (as far as i know) catch grass snakes, but they're very hard to feed in captive.
Best thing ever is newts, so easy to watch/keep as they go for any food that moves haha.

Today all of our commonest reptiles are still in decline. However, extensive conservation and land management regimes seem to have arrested the decline of our two rarest species. Since 1981, all British reptiles have been protected by law. It is illegal to kill, injure or harm the adder, slow worm, common lizard or grass snake in any way and it is illegal to offer them for sale or trade them. The sand lizard and smooth snake have even greater protection, it being illegal to even disturb them. As such the collecting of British reptiles has pretty much stopped.
from this site;
http://www.onewildworld.co.uk/reptiles/conservation.htm

diamondlil said:
Today all of our commonest reptiles are still in decline. However, extensive conservation and land management regimes seem to have arrested the decline of our two rarest species. Since 1981, all British reptiles have been protected by law. It is illegal to kill, injure or harm the adder, slow worm, common lizard or grass snake in any way and it is illegal to offer them for sale or trade them. The sand lizard and smooth snake have even greater protection, it being illegal to even disturb them. As such the collecting of British reptiles has pretty much stopped.
from this site;
http://www.onewildworld.co.uk/reptiles/conservation.htm
So you can't keep common lizards anymore?
Well that's a bit pants.

I KNOW newts are allowed to be kept.

UKCryptid said:
Well, that also depends on the species of newt...
All the native species are protected, to varying degrees, by the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. The smooth and palmate newts are protected only against unlicensed trade in wild-caught individuals, while the crested newt enjoys the maximum protection possible, being protected against intentional killing, capturing, possession, trade and disturbance. In addition, it is illegal to release any non-native species into the wild, including species previously naturalized. A maximum penalty of £2000 per animal can be levied if prosecution is brought.

That's what I was saying? Perhaps you made a typo in your post that i replied to, you stated that we ARE allowed to keep newts.

UKCryptid said:
That's what I was saying? Perhaps you made a typo in your post that i replied to, you stated that we ARE allowed to keep newts.
Whoops, sorry =/

Yeah, we are allowed to keep the smooth, palmate and common newts, just not the crested.

My local wildlife trust does the occasional 'reptile day' where you go out with a guide who takes you to good areas for reptile spotting. I went a year or two back and saw slow worms, common lizards and three adders. It was a really good day out. You might want to see if there's anything like that in your area...

Here's the general link to the UK Wildlife Trusts http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/

Back