• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Caught today in Jax Fl

Good luck Robbie! Is anyone speculating on what it is yet, or are we waiting for Robbie to return for a better I.D? That would be great if it was a true wild Albino something, and not a released pet, especially if it is an Albino of a species that has yet to be bred in captivity before.
Either way, nice find. There's really no likely chance he would've survived in the wild, and it will be interesting to see the story develop.

Looks exactly like friends albino yellow rat. Maybe it is an escapee?

dc

Looks exactly like friends albino yellow rat. Maybe it is an escapee?

dc

That's my current thoughts on it. It's not exactly a hatchling, so it would have to be a pretty darn good hider to make it to this size. We'll just have to see how it likes being handled and how many scars it has.

S/he's currently sitting in a viv, trying to figure out a way out. :D

Definitely a couple of scars, including what appears to be a rather recent injury (probably from the bush they pulled him/her out of).
I'm pretty darn sure it's an albino yellow rat, and I'm almost sure it was really wild and not an escapee. Currently uploading and editing pictures to be posted in their own thread.

I'm glad this worked out OK for everyone. I thought someone might be interested in it, and hated the thought that the guy might just release it to become owl food.

Cool snake Robbie! Any guess as to the sex? Do you have an Aileen yet?? Can't wait to see it in person! But you need to take more whole snake pics.

I'm glad this worked out OK for everyone. I thought someone might be interested in it, and hated the thought that the guy might just release it to become owl food.

You should have known someone would be interested. LOL. Especially me! :laugh:

Cool snake Robbie! Any guess as to the sex? Do you have an Aileen yet?? Can't wait to see it in person! But you need to take more whole snake pics.

I THINK it might be female, but I'm gonna have to get him/her sexed to be sure. I'll try to get some more full body shots after s/he gets more settled in, and is less flighty. And find my blue bowl. ;)

S/he's currently sitting in a viv, trying to figure out a way out. :D

Definitely a couple of scars, including what appears to be a rather recent injury (probably from the bush they pulled him/her out of).
I'm pretty darn sure it's an albino yellow rat, and I'm almost sure it was really wild and not an escapee. Currently uploading and editing pictures to be posted in their own thread.

Not disagreeing with you, just curious why you are sure it is a wild snake rather than escapee?

dc

Not disagreeing with you, just curious why you are sure it is a wild snake rather than escapee?

dc

The amount of scarring, plus it's more wild attitude. I have another w/c yellow rat that behaves very similarly. I know that's not a way to know for sure, and we will never know for sure, but that's just my guess.

I can't remember when I've seen an albino yellow rat for sale. (Of course, I have never seen anything but a "normal" anything, in the wild, so...)

gotcha! How long is he/she now? You won't hear the "no way the snake could have survived to be that big in the wild" argument from me. A friend caught a hypo (that is our best guess) greenish rat a few years back and that snake was white, pink and yellow at the time of capture and was 18"-20" when caught. So, I believe animals can make it to larger sizes when albinos or amels.

I sometimes wonder if human encraochment is a benifit in the case of some of the animals like the one you have. If we continue to move in and develop, we eliminate habitat for not only the snakes but for their predators, especially the overhead type? Just rambling, congrats on acquiring him/her.

dc

gotcha! How long is he/she now? You won't hear the "no way the snake could have survived to be that big in the wild" argument from me. A friend caught a hypo (that is our best guess) greenish rat a few years back and that snake was white, pink and yellow at the time of capture and was 18"-20" when caught. So, I believe animals can make it to larger sizes when albinos or amels.

I sometimes wonder if human encraochment is a benifit in the case of some of the animals like the one you have. If we continue to move in and develop, we eliminate habitat for not only the snakes but for their predators, especially the overhead type? Just rambling, congrats on acquiring him/her.

dc

Probably just under 24". I don't have an exact measurement.

If the greenish rat you caught was those colors, I'd say it was an albino/amel, too. What color was/are the eyes?

Right, and look at that adult snow that survived (thrived) for a year outside living under a member's house!!

Probably just under 24". I don't have an exact measurement.

If the greenish rat you caught was those colors, I'd say it was an albino/amel, too. What color was/are the eyes?

Here are two pics of the snake that Jim caught. The shot by it's self is probably the best representation of it's coloration. The compasison shot shows a normal and the morph he caught.

Several people have looked at the snake and it does not have red eyes. Sometimes in photos it appears to have ruby pupils but they are just due to the flassh and such. The snake has now developed into a yellowish ground coloration and brownish stripes. It superficially resembles a "lavendar albino cal king".

Coincidentally, he will have some available next year from the dad to het females he has raised.

dc

Attachments

• greensih rat morph.jpg
    greensih rat morph.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 57
  • comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 57
Reptile Shack has a.....

I can't remember when I've seen an albino yellow rat for sale. (Of course, I have never seen anything but a "normal" anything, in the wild, so...)

female right now, a proven breeder.

Back