CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

About Snake Strikes

Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
dragonwalker
About Snake Strikes

So I have had my new 9 month corn snake Charlie for about 1 week now and I wanted to ask about whether or not what is happening is normal (see my other thread about the specifics of how I got him).

When I first got Charlie I set him up as comfortably as I can with 2 hides, heat map, thermostat, water and I limited contact with no physical contact at all. On the 5th day I fed him a hopper which he ate quickly. After about 40 hours after his meal just now I decided that I would try to handle him.

In the beginning when I first got him he would strike out every time I got near. After about one week just now I decided to hold him. He was underneath a hide so I first took that off. I tried to use one of the snake hooks to pick him up but he seemed scared and just kept slipping away. I finally got him on it lifted him off and held my arm out so he could slither onto it himself.

He seemed pretty calm once he got onto my arm just laying there but wanted to get off every time I got near something else.

I tried to weigh him on a scale but I was so scared of picking him back off from the scale that he tipped it over and he and the scale fell to the floor about 2 ft. below. I hope I didn't hurt him.

However my big concern is that every time my hand approaches his head he seems like he is about to strike out and he actually has most of the time. I can't seem to approach from any other angle because he keep turning his head to look at my hand. Every time I set him down I feel scared to try to pick him up because as I move in he is eyeing me and does sometimes strike out. I have made sure I wash my hands before handling so they don't smell like food.

Is this normal and I should I continue to acclimate him?

I've yet to pick him up without the snake handle. Is this normal? I'm not sure how much the previous owner handled him.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
silvercrow87
It's normal. He's probably not used to being touched or picked up. Just give him some time. Let him slowly get used to you and dont worry about he strikes/bites you, cause his teeth shouldn't be that big as to really hurt you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Old 09-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Twolunger
Well, I probably do things a little differently than most, and don't handle my snakes after feeding until they defecate. For my typical corn that's 3 or 4 days. I never use a snake hook to take mine out. For a snake displaying defensive or aggressive tendencies you don't want them to control the situation. I wash my hands and put on disposable gloves. I reach in and slide my hand under the snake and lift it out. They will usually try to flee, or try to bite. If they try to flee I just let them slither from hand to hand until they calm down. If they try to bite I just let them attempt it and then move them from hand to hand until they calm down. But don't let them latch on to a hand. Gently disengage them from your glove and try to get the snake moving through your hands.
If it has calmed down just keep handling it until it figures out that you mean no harm. I take one glove off and let the snake slither through my hand and if still calm I take the other glove off and keep handling it. Finally, I hold my hand close to a hide in the vivarium and let the snake go in at its own pace. Hopefully Charlie will soon calm down. If you don't feel comfortable taking the gloves off, leave them on for handling him until you feel more confident. I can't say I've had to resort to the gloves very often, as most corns are usually tame, and some love to be handled.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I would add, it might be easier and less chance of injury if you place a large enough bowl, box, or bucket on the scale, zero out the scale, then place the snake in the box so he can't get away.

And if he bites you, it's like christening a ship, it's gonna happen sooner or later, might as well get it over with. I would not want to be bitten by a 10 foot python, but a baby corn snake............ it's not going to hurt.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
dragonwalker
@Karl, so funny right after you posted this I did actually get "bit" and it was the most anti-climatic thing ever because it struck out and it felt more like a sticky side of a post it got in contact with my skin than any sort of bite. I'm so glad I actually felt it so I realize I have nothing to worry about. Even though I knew it wouldn't hurt it was really just the suddenness of it that first puts you off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google