CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Husbandry and Basic Care FAQ

Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
Corny Noob
Aspen, which is often regarded as THE substrate for corns also has a dust to it occasionaly, and sometimes the poop is hidden because they burrow in it. And if your snake loves to burrow what do you give them now if you took away their burrowing substrate?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
wertan10
can you take corns on short trips? and if you can how?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #13
miara20
yes you can take corns on short trips. I have taken mine from Washington State to Missouri and back. Just make sure if its cold outside that you have a heating pad. the kind you can put in the microwave. That way when you stop for gas or what not you can take it in and heat it up. Make sure you put it on the outside of the tank or underneath sord of like a undertank heater. I usually put my corn in a 10 gallon that way its easier to carry in the hotel and stuff. And make sure you cover the top of the cage with a towel. In the summer time or when its hot out just make sure your snake doesnt get to hot. Make sure you have a tempature gauge inside the tank or whatever your using to transport your corn in. Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #14
miara20
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Noob View Post
Aspen, which is often regarded as THE substrate for corns also has a dust to it occasionaly, and sometimes the poop is hidden because they burrow in it. And if your snake loves to burrow what do you give them now if you took away their burrowing substrate?
When she was on the astro turf she had nothing to burrow in. I decided to go back to the aspen to see if that's what she was allergic too. turns out the aspen is just fine. So she is back to her old burrowing self. All substrate really is a hit and miss I suppose but repti bark is one of the worst things you can give a snake for substrate. It has way more dust in it than aspen. Aspen is 99% dust free where repti bark isnt.

As far as their being poop in it cause she burrows. thats why its important to dig around in there to make sure there is no poo and if there is clean it out. And change the aspen at least every two months or less. It depends on how much they poo in their tank. Im fortunate enough that my snake doesnt poo in her tank. She is spoil and I know when she poos after she eats and she gets taken out and put on her blanket and she poos there. She will hold it til I let her out. Dont know why but she has been doing that for a long time.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
2ndChildhood
Newby here with a quick comment.
I read through quite a few other posts before I noticed a mistake I made on my temperatures when setting up my tank for the first time, and I thought I would mention it here.

I was initially measuring my high temperatures on the surface of the substrate. Can I recommend that you consider adding a note to the heating section to make sure the GLASS isn't above 90? I found that with too much aspen bedding in the enclosure and reading surface temperatures only, I had temperatures at the glass much higher than was safe. I didn't realize that the bedding would have that much effect on the temperature range.

Info: ExoTerra Heatwave Desert UTH
Reptitemp 500R Rheostat
Pro Exotics Temp Gun
Aspen bedding

Great information.
Thank you

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
boonbear
how long will they get on average and how many inches around?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonbear View Post
how long will they get on average and how many inches around?
2-3inch diameter max. They grow 4-5ft long.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
PJ@PJCReptiles
Corns vary like people do.

Some are small and some are huge. We have a small adult male. He is a lil man and we do not tell him that he is growing...lol

We also have a huge male at over 5ft and about 4+ inches around. He has produced very large offspring as well.

So keep in mind 3 to 5 feet long and some might be thin but muscular and other will be a bit more like a sausage.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
boonbear
So about 4 feet. How long does it take them to reach that?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
PJ@PJCReptiles
That would all depend on a few factors:
How often is the snake fed?
What size food items are you feeding?
What is the genetic makeup of the animal?

They seem to grow the fastest in the first two to three years and than they continue to grow the rest of their lives but at a much slower rate.

Power feeding/over feeding is never a good thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google