CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How often to handle a baby?

Old 06-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
MatCat
How often to handle a baby?

I had my first official handling session with my new corn today! I waited a week for her to shed, eat, poop, and today was the day. She did NOT want to get picked up lol, but once I got her picked up it was about 15 min of tread-milling then she finally calmed down and started to check me out in curiosity, handled her for 30 min in total. So my question is how often should I handler her for the best tameness possible? She has showed absolutely no defensive behavior of any kind what so ever, only flightyness.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
As long as she continues to eat well, I think handling daily is no problem if you really want her to get used to it (just give her 2 days of no handling after feeding her). Most corn snakes are pretty tame once they grow up a bit, even with minimal handling. Flightiness in babies is extremely common, and most of them do outgrow it. Handling once a week would probably be the minimum amount of handling required to keep her used to it. I do think there is a bit of a nature VS. nurture component to tameness in corn snakes, because some of them are naturally very relaxed about handling even if they've had very little human interaction and others end up being pretty feisty even with lots of handling.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
MatCat
[IMG]WOOT I GOT THE ILLUSIVE TOUNGE FLICK https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq4d6fezuvgel6x/IMG_20200620_200432672~2.jpg?raw=1[/IMG]

WOOT, Managed to get the illusive tounge flick in a pic during todays handling!

Old 06-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
MatCat

WOOT, Managed to get the illusive tounge flick in a pic during todays handling!

Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
flutterbyu
I try to handle babies daily (except after feeding) for about 15 minutes. This also helps them to not associate the cage opening with food and trying to eat your hand since most of the time when it opens it is not for food.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
Joanna_H
I handle mine a couple of times daily, unless he's been fed (then I wait 24hrs) or about to shed. He's super calm, loves climbing all over me and for some reasons likes to wrap himself around my glasses (not so much fun as it takes ages to untangle him without breaking them.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google