CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Tip of tail looks scary

Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #1
Ohno
Tip of tail looks scary

I’m really worried about my snake... in the past when she’s had shed retained on the very tip of her tail, I was able to moisten the skin and get it off easily. This time, she was already in her humid hide and it looked like she had a bit of shed on the tip that was already moist, so I tried to get it off and it came off leaving a tiny stick at the end of her tail that really does not look right at all. She had a huge reaction and struck at me and rattled her tail at me, so I think it hurt her and I feel really bad... I’m really worried... do I need to take her to the vet or will she be okay? I tried to post a picture, I hope it shows...

Old 06-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
darksidemike
I'm going to assume that "stick" is probably bone. Picture isn't super clear but looks like scales came off completely. I would change the substrate to paper towel and take everything out except water dish and hide on war side. Maybe put a little polysporin or betadine on it and check it every day.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
It looks a bit like bone to me too. Does she eat live prey? Usually if the snake retains shed on the tip of the tail for multiple sheds, it will slowly constrict the tail tip until it turns black or gray, dies and then falls off. Usually the snake doesn't seem bothered by it. The fact that yours looks sort of white and also the snake freaked out when you touched it makes me think it might be a bit of bone sticking out.

I agree with darksidemike. Putting her into a paper towel lined enclosure and removing any 'rough' decor is the way to go. I would probably give it a little while to see if it will fall off on its own. If it starts looking infected or gets worse, then go see a reptile vet. They may need to amputate it.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
Rich Z
You may want to consider just packing up the snake and taking it to a vet right now. It will likely heal up OK, but on the other hand, an infection setting in could be a serious problem. Snakes are pretty tough, but they aren't immune to all infections.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
Ohno
Thank you for your replies and suggestions! Just to be on the safe side, she has a vet appointment on Thursday, earliest I could get.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
How did the vet appointment go?

Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
Ohno
The vet said that he thinks the tip will likely fall off 😞 but that there was no sign of infection and that she otherwise looks very healthy. He said to keep an eye on it and that I could put some neosporin on it if it made me feel better.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
Sounds good! Hopefully it heals up quickly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google