CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Non-gravid, 7-year-old female refusing food

Old 06-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
JennaJ
Unhappy Non-gravid, 7-year-old female refusing food

I know it is really a bit to early to worry too much, but I need some reassurance. I read through some FAQs and searched some threads and I know males routinely go off food in Spring and that females may also at times, but this year is the first time she has EVER turned down a meal. The details:

- Turned down food last month, but accepted meal the next day (MAY 15th). She was home until she defecated...
- After this last feeding, came to work with me one day for a visit (I work at a vet hospital) on MAY 22nd. We took x-rays for a vet's career day presentation and she was handled a bit, but nothing excessive. She spent most of the day in her carrier.
- 8 days after this outing, attempted feeding (MAY 30th) and she refused. I then tried 2 days later (JUNE 1st) and then 3 days after that (JUNE 4). All three times she refused.
-She is very active and moving a bit quicker than usual when she is out, and either seems to ignore the mouse or even look like she is "put off" by it.

It just scares me because I've had her since she was a hatchling, and in all her 7 years she has been such a good eater!
She has a temperature gradient from an under-tank heater set to 85 degrees, and has a hide on each side of her 40 gal. long tank. It has been a while since she has shed (about 4 months), but shedding has never stopped her from eating in the past.
She looks and feels healthy from what I can tell. I have been bad and have not been weighing her very often, but if anything she is a touch on the chunkier side.

I will wait a bit longer before trying again. As I write this it has been exactly 3 weeks since her last meal. She usually is fed every ~2 weeks.
Any advice for a neurotic snake mama?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google