CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Breeding for a double clutch

Old 01-05-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Amanda E
Breeding for a double clutch

I'm wondering if you purposely try to get your females to lay second clutches. Or, if those that lay second clutches do so without you breeding them a second time.

This reason I ask is concerning the snake (98P39 - Adult female Normal Corn het for Amber) that I will be getting from you soon.

The info below her photo said that she double clutched with 6 eggs, only 1 of them being fertile.

I'm just wondering if I plan to breed her a second time (provided she is up to it) if she will most likely have a better second clutch than what she produced for you last year.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
Rich Z
No, I do not try to double clutch the females. But many will do so on their own. I do not expose them to males after they lay their first clutch and do not try to power feed them to get the bulk back on them for a second clutch.

As a matter of fact, I would like to know a way to STOP them from double clutching, because it really knocks the stuffing out of them when they do. I just think it is hard on the females to produce multiple clutches of eggs in a year.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Simon
I agree with Rich.
I hate it when they double clutch.
Last year when one of my hypo het silver queen double clutched she actually broke one of her spine and soon after laying the second clutch (all infertile) she died. Didn't eat a single thing after laying and we (me and the vet) couldn't do anything about it. So had to put it down.

Also having them double clutch did take a whole lot out of her...
so unless I see her with LOTS of extra fat after laying that I will hope she will double clutch on her own. I don't put another male together with them just to get an extra egg or so....

Old 01-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Amanda E
Thanks for the info.

I don't necessarily care to have her double clutch, I was just wondering if this female just tends to double clutch on her own and if it would be beneficial to breed her a second time, if she's gonna go ahead and double clutch anyway.

Again, thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google