CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Too much heat from heat lamp?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
vkielm55
Too much heat from heat lamp?

Hi,

I've had my corn snake for about 2 years with no problems but just recently he's been very active and always trying to get out of his tank. I also started to notice a little bit of flaking skin, though he might be getting ready to shed soon too. I just realized it might be getting too hot in the tank since yesterday the thermometer was at 90 degrees, so I shut off the lamp to let it cool down. I know they like around 75 degrees, but I've never had to shut off the lamp before since it's never gotten this hot in his tank.

So far the lamp has been off for a full day and now its back to around 75 degrees, but is it even worth turning on as much during the summer? I think the tank should stay around 75 even without the heat lamp, so my question is, do I even need to use the lamp at all or is it only needed to keep the snake warm? I wasn't sure if they need the lamp for some other reason like regulating day and nighttime, though I supposed he's getting indirect light from my windows anyway.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
bkelm18
Are you using an undertank heater? Cornsnakes do not bask so they have no real use for a heat lamp. They need belly heat to properly digest their food.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
sa_grubb
The snakes tank should be around 73-75 on the cool side. His warm side should be around 85 degrees. I use a heating pad and day / night bulbs for cycles. I set the pad until it gets around 80 degrees then i use the bulbs only for the remaining 5 degrees. This way I know the bulbs are not too much.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
ceduke
Do you have an under tank heater? Also, Where is your thermometer? Is it on the wall or on the floor?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
vkielm55
Thanks for the replies. No I'm not using an undertank - only a lamp. I was told when I got it at the pet store that the lamp should be good enough and hadn't had any issues for 2 years with it. Is it really worth switching if he's had no problems digesting until now?

My thermometer is on the wall of the tank, slightly closer to the warm side than the cool side, so I'm guessing the cool side has probably been at around 80-85 degrees.

If the tank is keeping itself at 75 degrees would you suggest that I just keep the lamp off all day and night until I notice a drop in temperature?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
wade
You will do much better with an under tank heater. Lights from above tend to dry out the vivarium. That will cause shedding problems. Right now if you snake appears flakey I would suggest you mist him and the cage with water to increase the humidity. Probably should do this a few times a day. Then switch over to an UTH. If it is set on a thermostat it won't matter if it is summer or winter, the temp at the hot end will stay around 85.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
sa_grubb
Here is my setup. both my uth and lamp have a dimmer switch.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
wade
Man you have enough gauges in there for a Space Shuttle.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
sa_grubb
Lol, That was really funny. it is my first corn and just was extra worried when i got him.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
sa_grubb
lol, i just realised how many there are. actually the 2 gold ones came in a kit and i dont even use those and just never got around to taking them out. i have 2 probes on the warm side in different spots on the uth and is mainly what i use along with an lcd strip on the cool end and the hygrometer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
heat