CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

How Do You Clean a Deer Skull?

Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal View Post
Also, bleach will damage the bone, so I wouldn't use that. But I believe Kristi has been using acetone with some success for whitening, so once you get it clean and are ready, I can ask about that, too.
This is true, (have you ever felt your fingertips after touching bleach, they're melted off!) it must be very weak. That's interesting about acetone. I swear I'm having a bleach smell hallucination just thinking about this.

Why does Kristi preserve skeletons? Fun or work?

Nanci

Old 12-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
Nanci
Wow, I remember why I know my method- because in farrier school we had to make a horse lower leg articulated skeleton for class. All of us. I wonder what ever happened to mine...

Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
desertanimal
It tends to be her summer job to process things around the department that have been pretty much completely dissected for classes and just need to be skeletonized. She's the one in the department with the most experience, so she gets the job every summer. Plus, we have a friend in forensics, so they share methods back and forth.

Usually she doesn't bother with whitening, but we had some people who gave the department non-human cadavers for dissection on the agreement that they'd eventually get them back skeletonized, and they wanted them white. So she worked a lot on that last summer.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
ramanth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Well, depending on how much flesh is left, I'd boil it to remove the flesh, scrub with a toothbrush, then soak in a bleach solution to remove the rest/whiten it up.
That's pretty much what we did. We set up a bonfire outside, put a pot on a tripod, and boiled it for hours. Then we soaked it in bleach water.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
mike17l
I think acetone is used more of a degreaser, not a whitener. I have always just thrown a head in a rubber maid tub out side, and left it on the side of the house for 2-4 months. When I came back, I rinsed it off, and left it out in the sun for a week or so, and after that it was good to go.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
maegann
thanks a bunch everyone!! i will have to post picks once i get it, and then again once its cleaned

Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #17
attackturtle
Try fire ants if there is still meat on it. They work wonders and can get in tiny holes and other hard to reach areas. Worry about whitening it up afterwards.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
TrpnBils
Talk about good timing. My girlfriend and I have been wanting to do something like this for like a year now but haven't found a good way to clean up what I have. I have a red eared slider frozen, but I've heard turtles can be difficult especially if it's your first time reconstructing something.

I live in an apartment, so I think my landlord might be mad if I started boiling an animal out in the yard, and I'm sure as heck not gonna do that in my kitchen.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #19
maegann
well, my dad took me to see it and there is no flesh what-so-ever!! there is a some hide left, but thats it. the bad thing is the poor doe had been hit really hard and possible run over, so the skull was in 3 pieces, legs broken, etc...

i took a piece of jaw bone, and some vertebrae, but I will go get more tomorrow. All I need to do is bleach the bones.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
Nanci
Ooh, deer vertebrae make really cool decorations! I have some in Fort Tort!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google