• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

long time reader, finally joined!

hrairoothousand

hi! My names Hunter, I have an around a year old corn snake.
I believe he's amelanistic but I don't want to say for sure until i'm 100%.
He's a great eater and so far in the 3 months I've had him he has only had one troublesome shed and he's currently in the middle of another shed, the whole head is off so that's great.
I also work at Pet Valu, we don't sell any animals except fish which is nice because you hear a lot of abuse with reptiles and small animals in pet stores.

But yea that's me!

also if anyone has any recommendations on a good rheostat that would be awesome!

Hi Hunter, All pet shops aren't the same. The problem is they often have a set up, either tanks or other vivariums in racks that amount to no more than heat produced by an incandescent bulb. On the other hand, I've been in pet shops that have specific setups for reptiles needing belly heat, higher temps, or more humidity. Personally, I may never buy a corn snake from a pet shop, but I know some awesome morphs were reportedly found in a pet shop, such as the charcoal.

Regarding rheostats, they are nothing more than adjustable resistors to control the current going to a device. I've bought a couple over the years, and made my own using a fan control rheostat from Home Depot mounted into a plastic electrical receptacle. If you are referring to temperature control devices, that's another story. They are more pricey than a simple rheostat. But I did buy an Inkbird 306T recently for a new rack I built, that was only $30 shipped. So far it has been very accurate. I don't fully trust any electrical devices, so have digital thermometers with alarm modes to alert me to any problems.

Back