CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Eggbound girl. Informative Egg Aspiration Video Included!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Asbit
Wow extremely well done and good luck to your girl, I hope she pulls through with flying colors. Shes pretty too!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #32
VIRAGI
Jessica:
If I can have an advise from you. I have a corn female that she mated around March 22. She laid her first egg about now two weeks ago and she had not laid any other. She is about to shed her skin again. I took her to a vet, not very experienced, and she gave her fluids, calcium, which she did not welcome, and antibiotics. Xrays shows her with a LOT and HUGE eggs. She is loosing body mass too fast, and look weak. I already spent $192 in that vet visit and just found an experienced vet which I think I might take her. Approximately how much a procedure like this cost? I might consider this just for the sake of her life. I will be sad if she passes away.
From one breeder I was told, she would absorb those eggs if she does not lay them? I dont belive this, is it true?
Any advise will be very appreciated and welcome.
Viragi

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #33
rich333
I would say a An experienced Vet is your Best bet at this point. Are there any eggs near the vent area??

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #34
Nanci
Once she has laid an egg, the rest aren't going to be reabsorbed. Sometimes snakes will lay an infertile egg or two before the real clutch. And they can look quite thin right before laying, when the spine becomes sharp and the snake looks triangular. How many days has it been since her last shed? Can you talk to the vet and ask him to tell you what his steps to solve this problem would be, and the approximate cost? I know you can apply for a Care Credit card or something when you are at the vet and have an unexpected large bill. But I would think whatever happens would be under $500...Probably under $300. Just a guess.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #35
VIRAGI
OMG...yes, one feels one end a little hard..she is FULL of eggs from the mid down. I would like to attach the X-Rays but I do not know how to do it in this website.
Is that aspiration technique expensive? about how much?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #36
rich333
nanci,

your in the ball park...I was qouted at $150.00 to $200.00 depending on where they are located.. Of course the vet that gave me that qoute, had no idea how to preform an aspiration.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #37
VIRAGI
Unhappy Egg bound

I guess If after she sheds she does not lay her eggs i might shoot for the aspiration technique if the only experienced vet in Jacksonville FL...Dr. Rossi knows how to do it...I bet he does.
Thanks Jessica and Nanci for your advises. I am not in business as a breeder, so do not worry. This was one blooper we did not know about. We must have bought her pregnant already.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #38
VIRAGI
Nanci:
She shed about three weeks ago...laid that one egg and now she will shed again...Hopefully it will be what you said about the infertile egg.
Viragi.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #39
jsschrei
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAGI View Post
Jessica:
If I can have an advise from you. I have a corn female that she mated around March 22. She laid her first egg about now two weeks ago and she had not laid any other. She is about to shed her skin again. I took her to a vet, not very experienced, and she gave her fluids, calcium, which she did not welcome, and antibiotics. Xrays shows her with a LOT and HUGE eggs. She is loosing body mass too fast, and look weak. I already spent $192 in that vet visit and just found an experienced vet which I think I might take her. Approximately how much a procedure like this cost? I might consider this just for the sake of her life. I will be sad if she passes away.
From one breeder I was told, she would absorb those eggs if she does not lay them? I dont belive this, is it true?
Any advise will be very appreciated and welcome.
Viragi
They an only reabsorb them before ovulation. At this point they must be passed. I don't know what a vet would charge to aspirate eggs. I'd recommend calling the vet and asking for an estimate.

I am not the most experienced breeder on here to comment. This is my first corn snake season. From what I've read after a couple of weeks the opportunity to aspirate dwindles as the eggs harden. Have you tried massaging them out? You can also try this:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...00238#poststop

Best wishes for your girl.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #40
VIRAGI
Thanks for your comments too Rich. I hope the vet could do that if after she sheds does not lay the eggs.
Good night!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
aspiration, eggbound