CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Eggbound girl. Informative Egg Aspiration Video Included!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #71
AliCat37
This was a very helpful video!!! Thanks!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #72
Toddsnake
Video Gone?

Is it me or my computer...I cant see the video? The one link I find on the first page say Video Unavailable. Has it been moved somewhere? I really need to watch it cause I need to do it on one of my females that is eggbound.

Thanks for any info!

Todd

Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #73
VickyChaiTea
It's gone for me too. I'd really like to see it.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #74
irshwitch
I have a bubble gum snow ghost that is a little over ten years old and has laied her first ever clutch. After 16 she seemed to slow down but we can still see at least two still in her. We aspirated one because she has gone 12 hours with out laying any eggs. Should we go ahead and aspirate the other or see if she can just lay the slug naturally?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #75
SnakeAround
Bubble gum snow ghosts don't exist but of course the problem does. Isually advice total rest and leave it to nature until the after laying shed is done, except if the female starts to weaken or a huge egg is blocking the rest. A huge egg can be aspirated than, if she weakens a visit to the vet is needed. Please be careful not to aspirate during the blue phase if possible. I have done that twice and those females never came out of their shed, it glued against their skin and they died. If there is a huge egg blocking aspirate it a.s.a.p. and leave it to nature till after shedding for the rest of the eggs. Of course it might have been a coincidence but I don't hassle an egg bound female anymore until after shedding because they might lay the eggs with or shortly after shedding anyway.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #76
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
Bubble gum snow ghosts don't exist but of course the problem does.
Yes they do, it's a selectively bred line, link to info: Bubblegum Snow Corn Snake

Anyway...

To irshwitch, I personally am not a fan of waiting. Is there a reptile vet in your area that you can call?

Typically, once you aspirate, you can gently massage the egg down toward the vent. I'm trying to find the video/thread where it shows someone doing it, but it may not be something you feel comfortable with.

You may was to go ahead a aspirate the second egg and give her a small meal. Something half the size of her normal food like a mouse hopper or large fuzzy. If you have some calcium powder, mix up a calcium slurry with water and inject into the rodent before you feed.

There is growing evidence that boosting calcium to laying females can help with passing eggs.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #77
SnakeAround
I know about bubble gum snows indeed but not bubble gum snow ghosts Baroness ;-)

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #78
SnakeAround
I have done that for years already, giving calcium a few times before laying, they need it for their muscles to push the eggs. Massaging an egg out bears the risk of damaging an egg tube if it is twisted or stuck to the egg. I go to the vet, whom numbs the vent area so the muscles relax (and of course pain reduced) so you need way less pressure.

I know not everyone is a fan of waiting, some rush to the vet right after laying and let their snakes be operated on right away if the egg is not close to the vent, but to each their choice. We all learn from our own experiences and peoples advice, but this has always been difficult decisions in breeding snakes. Waiting till after shedding worked out best for me in cases of 2 or 3 stuck eggs. I decided to not rush into all kinds of interventions since I read an advice from a very experienced and large scale breeder, I am 99% sure it was Rich of Serpenco's advice. Since the calcium feeding I have had no serious egg binding problems, but I also exercise and keep the females leaner than I used to do.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #79
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
I know about bubble gum snows indeed but not bubble gum snow ghosts Baroness ;-)
People call strawberry combos funny things. ;-)

Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #80
irshwitch
Update: Pig, my bubblegum, is doing great. After aspirating the egg that was stuck and giving her a lukewarm bath she passed the aspirated egg as well as another with ease. It looks as though there is maybe one more in there. This has been an experience for all of us seeing as we did not know she could lay eggs without mating, lol. Thank goodness for Google because it led me here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
aspiration, eggbound