CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Female won't rebreed for second clutch

Old 06-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
canicemok
Female won't rebreed for second clutch

My female laid a clutch of eggs 2 weeks ago. She is eating like a beast now and quickly return to good shape and muscle tone (500gram). I plan to rebreed her in case she will lay another clutch.

When I put the male with her, the male was chasing her like crazy. However, the female did not let him mate. She is clearly non-receptive at the moment.

I want to know when will female produce follicles again after the first clutch and when should I reintroduce the male to her. She is still non-receptive 2 weeks away from the first clutch. Is this indicating that she will not likely to lay another clutch?

Thank you!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
crackerhead
Not all snakes will double clutch and some animals produce a second clutch when you don't want them to. You can attempt to create the perfect conditions for multiple clutches within a season but it is up to the female's biology to decide what is best. I would never try to force a second clutch. If it happens safely, then great. Producing eggs is a huge use of resources for a female. I find it better if the female has the remainder of the season to rest and rebuild body mass.
Breeding is not an exact science. Ask anyone who has been doing it for awhile. LOL

Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google