CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

I surrender to the Borg....

Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #31
Nanci
I surrender to the Borg....

As we were leaving the wildlife drive, we wondered, stop to hike the last trail, or Rich suggested
go ahead to catch that snake in the road, which is probably a stick. Right as we parked, the car
leaving stopped. "I knew it!!" Rich yelled. We bailed out of the car and ran....

Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #32
Nanci
Ah, I should have made those smaller. Medium, the first one, was best. Actually, small is best.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #33
Nanci
Anyway, super-easy to edit posts in Tapatalk, too, but I don't know if that holds true for non-contributing members.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #34
Nanci
Rich, I know you aren't really into apps, (yet) but I thought I'd list some that I think are really good. Going in order by where they are on my phone:

Dark Sky. Warns you ahead of time when it's going to rain. When rain is stopping. Can send you a daily forecast at a set time.

Waze. A route-planning app, but with a whole community, so you know ahead of time if there are hazards along your way- weather, accidents, lanes closed, construction. It's great at picking the fastest route, avoiding traffic, etc., and gives you a choice of three routes. It has saved me countless times from huge traffic jams in Atlanta and Chattanooga.

Hurricane- a really nice hurricane info app.

Lightning Finder- there's an annual subscription, but it shows you real-time lightning strikes near you! I find it fascinating.

Deliveries is the best delivery tracking app I've found.

Spark is the best e-mail app I've found.

(For all these categories, I've tried tens of different apps for each one, and chosen the best.)

Nest lets me monitor and set my Nest thermostat from anywhere. And check the status of my smart smoke detectors.

Map My Run is a great app for running, hiking, walking. Shows you a cool map of your route, and distance, etc.

Yelp is great for finding restaurants while traveling.

There are some really great bird field guides. I use a combination of Merlin Bird ID, iBird Pro and Peterson Birds of NA.

Sky Guide gives you a map of the night sky, as you look at it. Names constellations, etc. wherever you look, at whatever angle- it matches you.

Kindle replaces physical books. Why? Space, for one thing. Portability for another. I have my whole library of books I'm currently reading, everywhere I go, on every device I own. More suited to a tablet, but still nice for a phone.

Audible. Sadly, the internet has stolen virtually all my time I spent reading. But while driving, I love listening to audiobooks.

BugMe! is like pulling out a post-it note for your phone. I use it for jotting down things like a book I want to read, dog body measurements, door codes, just anything I'd write a little note about.

Oh, SplashID is an app that saves info. About everything. Drivers license number. Bank accounts. Credit cards. Log ins. Insurance numbers. Everything. You can back it up to a computer or the cloud. I use it almost daily. Also, I worry about, what if I die? No one is going to be able to even know all the accounts I have, much less access them. SO my solution was, I have a trusted friend (not significant other, not relative) who also has this app. In his app, I created a category called Nanci's SplashID, which has my log-in info. Someone now knows how to access all my vital info if I die accidentally.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #35
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
As we were leaving the wildlife drive, we wondered, stop to hike the last trail, or Rich suggested
go ahead to catch that snake in the road, which is probably a stick. Right as we parked, the car
leaving stopped. "I knew it!!" Rich yelled. We bailed out of the car and ran....
Healthy looking yellow rat snake!

When Connie and I were down in Sanibel, we found a small one crossing the road while bike riding. It was right in the Heron's Landing area where we were staying. I just skooted him off of the road so he wouldn't get run over.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #36
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Rich, I know you aren't really into apps, (yet) but I thought I'd list some that I think are really good. Going in order by where they are on my phone:

Dark Sky. Warns you ahead of time when it's going to rain. When rain is stopping. Can send you a daily forecast at a set time.

Waze. A route-planning app, but with a whole community, so you know ahead of time if there are hazards along your way- weather, accidents, lanes closed, construction. It's great at picking the fastest route, avoiding traffic, etc., and gives you a choice of three routes. It has saved me countless times from huge traffic jams in Atlanta and Chattanooga.

Hurricane- a really nice hurricane info app.

Lightning Finder- there's an annual subscription, but it shows you real-time lightning strikes near you! I find it fascinating.

Deliveries is the best delivery tracking app I've found.

Spark is the best e-mail app I've found.

(For all these categories, I've tried tens of different apps for each one, and chosen the best.)

Nest lets me monitor and set my Nest thermostat from anywhere. And check the status of my smart smoke detectors.

Map My Run is a great app for running, hiking, walking. Shows you a cool map of your route, and distance, etc.

Yelp is great for finding restaurants while traveling.

There are some really great bird field guides. I use a combination of Merlin Bird ID, iBird Pro and Peterson Birds of NA.

Sky Guide gives you a map of the night sky, as you look at it. Names constellations, etc. wherever you look, at whatever angle- it matches you.

Kindle replaces physical books. Why? Space, for one thing. Portability for another. I have my whole library of books I'm currently reading, everywhere I go, on every device I own. More suited to a tablet, but still nice for a phone.

Audible. Sadly, the internet has stolen virtually all my time I spent reading. But while driving, I love listening to audiobooks.

BugMe! is like pulling out a post-it note for your phone. I use it for jotting down things like a book I want to read, dog body measurements, door codes, just anything I'd write a little note about.

Oh, SplashID is an app that saves info. About everything. Drivers license number. Bank accounts. Credit cards. Log ins. Insurance numbers. Everything. You can back it up to a computer or the cloud. I use it almost daily. Also, I worry about, what if I die? No one is going to be able to even know all the accounts I have, much less access them. SO my solution was, I have a trusted friend (not significant other, not relative) who also has this app. In his app, I created a category called Nanci's SplashID, which has my log-in info. Someone now knows how to access all my vital info if I die accidentally.
I'll have to try some of them. I have looked around at the apps selection and found a few that I loaded up. Mostly utility types. Things like a wifi analyzer, that came in handy when I was setting up a new wireless router the other day. Didn't help much with a security camera system I've been playing with, however. Also some GPS trackers, and weather radar. I found an app that I had high hopes for, but it really let me down. Called "Track a Phone by Number." Sounds good in theory, but it really doesn't work at all. I figured it would be helpful with Connie driving up to Delaware to visit family if I could keep track of her progress. Or heck, maybe one of these days either Connie or I will just lose our phone, and I figured this would be great to locate it. But alas, it's not worth a plug nickle. The whole way up to Delaware, it still showed Connie's phone as being here at home. It eventually did show her as being at her sister's house in Delaware, so when I talked to her on the phone, I asked her if she was leaving her phone at her sister's house the entire time. Nope. She was carrying it around where ever she went, with it turned on, yet the tracking program just wasn't TRACKING. So I will be uninstalling this turkey pretty soon.

I guess with *free* apps you are mostly going to get what you paid for. So maybe I need to spend more time looking at the paid apps.

Honestly, I am finding Google Assistant and Bixby intriguing. Using voice commands to launch apps, or do Google searches just seems a logical way to do stuff on a smart phone. Isn't that what the "smarts" should be all about? I just want to tell the phone what I want, and it should be able to figure out how to go about doing that. Instead of pressing buttons, I can just say, "Hi Bixby. Power off." And it is done. But of course, it's not quite there yet. Close, but I can see the potential, and what it can do now is better than I had expected.

Oh gee, it's raining. I guess the drought we've been having since, well, YESTERDAY afternoon, is over with.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google