CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Inexperienced Owner or Corn?

Old 09-03-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
MisterQ
Inexperienced Owner or Corn?

Let me start by saying my corn is 1 month and 7 days. I brought him home on Sunday August 25th. I was told he ate on Saturday the day before I brought him home. So Thursday I bought a pinky home and tried to feed him and he would not eat. So I tried to feed him in a small box and he became very stressed and aggressive, he struck at me. So, I figured maybe I didn't give him enough time to adjust to his new place so I just put him back in his viv and changed the water every day. (I did not handle him at all until Monday night) Monday morning I brought another pinky home for him and put it in his viv and then we left the house for a few hours. When we came back the pinky had moved more than my corn. Well, I decided to give it a few more hours and then I would try to tease feed him. I pulled him out of his viv and held him and the pinky. My corn did try to eat but it seemed he would put his mouth around the pinky and then let go as soon as the pinky let out the death cry. Then I figured maybe if pinky was dead that would help....Well Pinky died and I tried again. My corn would put the whole head in his mouth and then just LET GO!! Why ? Was it too big for him, I asked for a small pinky at the store. So I went to the next extreme I cut off the pinky's head. He still spit it out. Then I cut the pinky's head in half and finally my corn swallowed it. During all of this time my corn was very calm he was not stressed like before but instead he kept trying. 11 days have passed and he has eaten 1 half a head ...should I worry yet. I have read the Corn bible and read as much as possible on the net about care and feeding but I am worried I am doing something wrong. I have decided that pre killed food is going to be a must. Please Help!

Old 09-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #2
statickaos
dang that sounds very weird to me.. i haven't owned corns long but i do know my BP went through something like this.. I always use a pair of pliers an sway the thawed mice infront of his face.. well he struck it, constricted, then layed it down..attempted to swallow the tail end, then tried the head end, then tried a head..then went back at the tail end an ate the thing.. im pretty sure it did have 2 do with size and that he was scared of something that big.. in your case i know that half a head isn't enuff vitamins an nutrients for the animal but i don't know what to say..very weird..juss wanted 2 put my input in this case..

Old 09-03-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
Matt L
Q,
It sounds like your doing fine to me. Two out of my six new corns I bought this year are slow feeders. Don't panic,as long as it is eating something for the moment, your snake will be fine. At 5 weeks old your snake should have no problem swallowing a new born pinky. I know some at that age that even feed on new born rat pups. If the snake was on a frozen/thawed diet, then a live pinky may just have startled it. Give it some more time to adjust. It should begin to feed better in time. Watch for signs of waste and regurgitation. Relax and enjoy your snake.

Matt L.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:56 PM   #4
little twiglet
i got my first corn when he was 5 weeks and by 8 weeks he was on two a week (same sitting) he is now 11 weeks and has no problems eating a huge pinkie almost on to fuzzies but when he is due to shed he has problems he is blind in one eye and when his eyes are milky he cant see bugger all!! and insted of striking at his food he rubs his face on it and snaps at it!! (mouth open closed motion very quickly)
my 8 week old will also eat anything once he has chased it round the tank at least 3 or 4 times!!
dont worry trust me

Old 09-06-2002, 12:02 AM   #5
bmm
yeah

I agree with Matt L

Your cornsnake is acting pretty normal for some baby corns. They get scared by the pinkie and it's perfectly fine if it is eating just heads, because if its eating heads I can promise you in no time it will accept the whole pinkie!!!

Kepp feeding the heads and trying whole pinkies. You can try feeding a head then right away after its entirely in the mouth and a little down the throat offer a whole pinkie. Sometimes the feeding response they have will just get them to eat another item right away without really caring.

good luck

bmm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google