CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Internal Mite Infestation Remedies

Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
fidget15
Exclamation Internal Mite Infestation Remedies

I just recently picked up two more corns to add my collection a wonderful little tangerine cream (Finnic), and a bubblegum (Hiver).

I discovered mites on the cream yesterday night when I was handling her, and noticed that they're in her eyelid area for the most part. I used a small blunt toothpick (it makes me cringe too) to remove what I could and got most of the for the most part. In addition to the manual removal of the mites from her body; I've sprayed her with some non-toxic Jurassi-Mite which seems to be working well. I'm wondering what sort of remedies I can use to treat those which are on her eyes and any that are in internal. They're both quarentined at the moment and will be for the next 3 weeks (part of my normal "check the critters out" period). I also noticed after spraying the jurassi mite on Finnic and Hiver that they both began deficating within the time that I was applying the spray and wiping them down; has anyone else encountered this? I used the search funtion and couldn't really find anything on mites being in or around the eyelids so I'm just lookin for some help here.

I'm a lil' scared because although I've had a python with mites before in the past it's not something that has occurred more than once in the entire 10 years that I've been keeping snakes. I'm definetly going to establish a routine regimen now for all my herps. Time to eradicate the mites !!!!!

Thank you all for your help

Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
fidget15
bump!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
diamondlil
My MBK had a lovely collection of mites around his eyes that I mistook for signs of retained eyecaps. Treating the snake reduced the load but when I found a spray that treats the enclosures by killing the mites and also stopping them from developing further, that is usually used for hutches and birdcages, I found huge amounts of small mites for the first week, and none for about a week now. I've not heard of internal mite remedies, but am trying to find a supplier of food-grade diatomaceous earth, as according to what I've read so far it sounds like a great non-chemical pest control

Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
fidget15
Thanks...for the the reply. I contacted the seller, he hasn't been too helpful as of yet. For the moment I think the best thing to do is just to treat her as is and cart her over to the vet to have a second opinion, may take some of the bugs if I can find any left into the office for a bit of microcroscopic analysis. She seems to be doing better at the moment; I'm just worried about her and the rest of the collection.

I do have one question; what is in your opinion been about the smallest size mite that you have seen?

Thanks,

Aj

Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
diamondlil
About the size of a full-stop, but then I haven't got my microscope out. I'm sure if I set up a slide or 2 I'd find smaller ones. I'm not being facetious here, I really have got a microscope, and I remember setting it up when one of my boys had headlice...........)

Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
fidget15
Yeah I wish I had one; the bugs that I pulled off her about about the size of this period -> . Maybe a lil' bit bigger. I've removed the substrate and have been treating her accordingly so far so good; I haven't seen any more....

Old 03-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Drewby07
Hey guys....

Just to throw this out there....I don't think mites are ever INTERNAL. They are an ectoparasite and cannot live inside the host....

Just putting in my .02

Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
fidget15
Thank you.......Having found that out I am greatly relieved.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google