CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fearing for my baby corn

Old 12-11-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Shinjukou
Fearing for my baby corn

I have a baby amel corn I purchased from a pet store (he was just so DARN cute - I couldn't resist!!) about four weeks ago. He ate a LARGE live pinkie a few days after I got him. I tried about 10 days later to get him to eat a thawed frozen pinkie, but to no avail. I was waiting about a week to try to feed him again, but as that time approached he started to shed. SOOOOO . . .I had to wait longer than intended before I could feed him again.

WELL - the shed did NOT go well . . he shed his head area and bits & pieces of his body, but is not shedding his underside skin well. I've tried wet towels, mineral oil, manually peeling (he's cooperative but the skin's just not giving) . . and now he won't eat. I put him overnight in a container with the pinkie and left him alone, but he still didn't eat. He doens't even seem to want to be near it. My biggest worry is that he might have some medical condition underlying all this. I'm not real familiar with what baby corn poop looks like, but I would assume it should look like the adult poop (I have four adults now), just smaller. I noticed last night just before I put the pinkie in the container with the baby corn that he had gone poo . . but it was clear liquid, with a tubular offwhite mass and some offwhite spots in it. Is this normal?? I can see he has a dark spot inside of him between his belly and his vent . . is there a possibility of his first feed getting impacted?? I know he's not substrate impacted, because we use ReptiBark which is too big for him to ingest anyway. And, just in case I'm going off the deep end worrying for no reason, is there a good way to get a non-feeder to eat??

PLEASE HELP!! I'm very worried about my little baby . .

Old 12-12-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
moreptiles
In my opinion you have a pretty serious situation here. The combination of the incomplete shed and not eating for almost 4 weeks means real trouble. I would suggest getting a small plastic container immediately with a snake size hole in it and fill this with damp spagnum moss to help him finish the shed. Put this in your vivarium and keep the snake in this overnight. In my experience this works even when none of the other methods you mentioned work. If too much skin is left on the snake, then they will die. After the sned is off (tomorrow hopefully) then see how it seems. If it is lethargic and still refuses to eat a small pinkie, then a trip to your herp vet is all that you can do.

Good luck
Mark

Old 12-12-2003, 02:48 PM   #3
BiLL1024
HI
One of my snakes will not eat FT mice . Some snakes are just like that .I tried every way except standing on my head . Brained them served hot , cool , over night in a bag nope he wants the real deal live and kickin.I would try another live pinky or small fuzzy. And with any substrate except papertowels or news paper I would feed in another tank.
Bill

Old 12-15-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
Shinjukou
Smile THANK YOU!!

Thanks so much for the advise . . I changed the substrate from ReptiBark back to smooth waxed rocks . . this seems to be helping . . and have started misting the viv with water at least once a day. The little guy has been rubbing like a maniac on his log hide!! I think we're making progress here . . .

And the BEST news yet: he ate a pretty good size pinkie yesterday!!! **jumps for joy** It seems he may just be picky and won't eat fozen. Guess I'll have to find a local supplier of LIVE pinks (hard to find around here).

Thanks again for all the advise . . it's good to know there's a place I can turn to when I have no idea what to do next!!

Old 12-15-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
Shinjukou
Oh . . another thing . .

Just FYI . . my snakes are ALWAYS fed in a feeder bin . . NEVER in their vivs!! But sometimes they eat their substrate anyway . .

Just wanted to clarify!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google