• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

An unusual species

hypnoctopus

Olivia Barron
I heard about this species a few years ago and it instantly shot to the top of my most wanted snakes list. This is a calabar python. They're a really neat little fossorial, egg-laying boa with the thickest, toughest skin discovered so far in snakes. They also are nest raiders, so they typically eat multiple small prey items instead of one larger one. Their skin doesn't have much stretch, so they can't handle large meals. They also lay small clutches (one of only two species of boa that lay eggs, as far as I'm aware) with long eggs. A few people have been successful breeding them in captivity, but most specimens are wild caught. This is my first one, but once I feel confident with his care and needs, I'm definitely going to be looking for at least one female to go with him.

Anyway, this is Gila! He's a really interesting little guy. They can be pretty shy, but he's been fairly confident so far. He's only balled up once that I've seen.

IMG-9699.jpg

20230703-114202.jpg

Back