CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Husbandry and Basic Care FAQ

Old 09-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #41
SQUID67
Howdy folks. Curious, as this is my first snake, and I've been hearing a lot about using thermostats lately. So far all I've been doing is monitoring the thermometer/humidity readers I have placed on both sides of the tank. However, I just switched from a heating lamp to a heat mat, as I read online that heat mats are better for transferring heat to corns through their bellies. So my question is, how necessary is a thermostat? I definitely want my snake to be safe, and hearing stories of temperatures getting as high as 140 degrees is now making me a bit concerned that I should buy a thermostat ASAP.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:15 AM   #42
claire.chapman11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUID67 View Post
Howdy folks. Curious, as this is my first snake, and I've been hearing a lot about using thermostats lately. So far all I've been doing is monitoring the thermometer/humidity readers I have placed on both sides of the tank. However, I just switched from a heating lamp to a heat mat, as I read online that heat mats are better for transferring heat to corns through their bellies. So my question is, how necessary is a thermostat? I definitely want my snake to be safe, and hearing stories of temperatures getting as high as 140 degrees is now making me a bit concerned that I should buy a thermostat ASAP.
Yes, you do need a thermostat. Zoo meds reptitemp 500r is super cheap and will do the job.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 AM   #43
Karl_Mcknight
those heat mats hit over 100 degrees. I have 2 of them and they both hit 113.

If you lay your hand directly on them they fee quite warm. Not enough to hurt you or me, but then again our body temperatures are 98.6 and we are warm blooded. But to a Reptile, specifically a Corn Snake, 113 degrees can be deadly.

Those thermometers you stuck on the side of the tank are pretty much useless.

Your snake does not live on the side of your tank nor does he fly through the air. Most of his time is spent laying on his belly on the bottom of the tank. And even if you have shredded bark or Aspen in your cage, he can and will burrow under that. So it's highly possible that your corn snake at times will come into direct contact with the glass bottom right on top of the heat pad.

A thermostat or rheostat is necessary. Simply "Monitoring your temps" by reading those stick on thermometers on the side of your tank is not practical. You really need to measure the heat directly on the glass bottom right over the heat mat.

I'd be willing to bet right now, your thermometers on the side of the tank probably measure OK, but if you measure your heat mat it's probably well over 100 degrees.

The correct temp for a Corn snake should be between 83 and 87. I keep mine at 85 on the warm side and about 74 on the cool side.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #44
SQUID67
Alright. I'll look for a thermostat at the petstore tomorrow. I'll shoot for setting it at around 85 degrees.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #45
Patmart
Can anybody tell me what a humid hide is and to make one
Pat x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #46
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Can anybody tell me what a humid hide is and to make one
Pat x

A humid hide is something to give the snake a place to go that is humid so it helps with the shed process. They're typically not needed unless they have problems shedding.
To make one, you can take a deli cup and lid, or butter bowl with lid, etc, cut an opening in it so the snake can get in and out, and put damp moss or a damp paper towel in it.

Make sure your snake has a big enough water bowl to soak in, especially if they have trouble with shedding (which is usually caused by dehydration, but there can be other factors).

Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #47
Patmart
Thank you very much for your help
Pat x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #48
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Thank you very much for your help
Pat x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're welcome!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #49
adamsmith2919
I really wanted to thank you for your post. Its really helped me to understand what I'll need to do when I get my snake and how much I need to do to care for it. I was wondering though if you recommend live prey for the snakes. My friend refuses to anymore to a mouse hurting one of her boas, but what would you suggest.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #50
Patmart
Hi don't use live mice I live in the UK I don't know of anybody that use live bate
But that's your choice to make
Pat x

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google