CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Salmon Ghost

Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Walter has a salmon ghost listed on his page gallery 3.

http://www.wscornsnakes.com/gallery-3.html#

Samby - asked you for pics.

I didn't see any coral ghosts on JMG's page, just checked. I found them but not for sale. They are gorgeous!
My partner and I are acquiring the JMG's corn snake stock breeders and hold backs, future project breeders, etc- about 250 in all, as Jeff & Jeff are getting out of corn snakes due to personal reasons. At present JMG has less than 24 remaining 2011 Salmons for sale. Once they are gone, they'll be gone.

Because JMG's breeding cycle is different from ours, we do not expect any breeding activity to begin until mid-July, and will likely not have any available until early 2013. We prefer to make sure hatchlings are well established feeders before parting with any.

Our friend Marsha at poppycorns.com has a few coral snow projects, with perhaps a dozen available at the present, if you are in need of a high expression coral snow. She is calling her line Starburst's.

Cheers,
dp

Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Walter has a salmon ghost listed on his page gallery 3.
The "Salmons" (Snow & Ghost) that I have came directly for Jim @ SWReptiles. It's also my understanding that this is where Jeff aquired his stock.

I was told by Jim in Daytona, when I aquired my "Salmons" from him, that his line is in fact Stawberry based. As Terri mentions above Jim is the one who started the coin "Salmon" to this line. I also have animals from the "Coral" line that came from Don, which is Hypo A based. I had a Coral Snow breeder on loan from Don a few years back and found that animal is Homo for Hypo A.

There is a considerable difference in appearance between the two as that the "Salmons" display a more intense pink coloration than the "Corals".

If Jeff's line of Ghosts & Snows are of the same genetics, why does he lable one as "Salmon" & one as "Coral".........especially if they are "Stawberry" based

I use the term "Coral" for the Hypo A based and the term "Salmon" for the Strawberry based to seperate the two lines of used different traits.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
ecreipeoj
Common Name = Genetics behind the name

Corals= Hypo Snow
Salmon Ghost= Strawberry Anery
Salmon Snow = Strawberry Snow

In my opinion, this is the way it should be.

Coral has meant Hypo + Anery = Amel for many years.

Coral Ghost suggest a Hypo based Ghost. A Salmon Ghost would clearly be Strawberry based.

Salmon Ghost are different from the Strawberry Anerys phenotype. It is obvious that Salmon Ghost have something extra such as RedCoat and/or Red Factor. Since Red Factor caused RED to the background area of morphs, and Red Coat is a top layer of red, Red Factor seems more likely.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
My partner and I are acquiring the JMG's corn snake stock breeders and hold backs, future project breeders, etc- about 250 in all, as Jeff & Jeff are getting out of corn snakes due to personal reasons. At present JMG has less than 24 remaining 2011 Salmons for sale. Once they are gone, they'll be gone.

Because JMG's breeding cycle is different from ours, we do not expect any breeding activity to begin until mid-July, and will likely not have any available until early 2013. We prefer to make sure hatchlings are well established feeders before parting with any.

Our friend Marsha at poppycorns.com has a few coral snow projects, with perhaps a dozen available at the present, if you are in need of a high expression coral snow. She is calling her line Starburst's.

Cheers,
dp

Congrats on your purchase Dave!! I'm certain you will be very happy with Jeff's breeder stock. Marsha has some really nice animals. I'm sure there will be an abundunce of salmons & corals available this season.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
Corals= Hypo Snow

Coral Ghost suggest a Hypo based Ghost. A Salmon Ghost would clearly be Strawberry based.

Salmon Ghost are different from the Strawberry Anerys phenotype. It is obvious that Salmon Ghost have something extra such as RedCoat and/or Red Factor. Since Red Factor caused RED to the background area of morphs, and Red Coat is a top layer of red, Red Factor seems more likely.
All ghosts are hypo based. I'm not sure when or if the coral ghost name has been changed to salmon ghost. The terms of Salmon, Neon,and Champagne are used to describe lineage of snows. All of the aforementioned snows are believed to be strawberry based.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tuttle View Post
The terms of Salmon, Neon,and Champagne are used to describe lineage of snows. All of the aforementioned snows are believed to be strawberry based.
Champagne can be eliminated from the "thought to be Strawberry based" group. I had Chuck P. check my guys (Pascal Paul's Line) under the microscope 2 years ago and he determined they were not Strawberry. Test breeding confirmed that assessment. Salmon for sure is Strawberry and I'm testing Neon and Redcoat/Red Factor now. I doubt I will have definitive results this year but most probably in two seasons I'll know for sure.
One of the problems I'm having is that the stock is so intermingled genetically everything needs to be teased apart before one can even begin to test. An easy example is seen in the Strawberry lines. Many of which have Hypo A or B tagging along. Most of the animals that are being sold in this melting pot were bred for looks not genetic purity. I know from experience that Jeff was in this category with his animals. He produced amazing animals that he could not definitively tell you what their genetic makeup was. I say this with no disrespect whatsoever. Many breeders operate in this manner and they produce quality animals like Jeff. I'm just more interested in the recipe than the end result.

Terri

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
dave partington
What's Neon, and where can that be found at?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Tara80
Neon:

Photo by Poppycorns.

http://www.poppycorns.com/

Something that Poppycorns and SMR have been working on together.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
Corals= Hypo Snow

A Salmon Ghost would clearly be Strawberry based.
This is the way I look at it as well, which I basically explained in my post.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Tom Tuttle
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj
Corals= Hypo Snow

A Salmon Ghost would clearly be Strawberry based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
This is the way I look at it as well, which I basically explained in my post.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!
Really??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google