CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Corn snake owners not into making fake rocks?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
sweet~nichole~marie
I think part of it may be the fact that you can spend a ton of money on decorations for the snakes, and they still want to just hide under their water bowls or prefer the paper towel roll ~LOL~ It is hard to get excited about decorating a viv when your animal basically turns its nose up at it. If they actually used the stuff I might put more in. My snakes have flexi-vines wrapped in fake plants, a water bowl hide, and a few paper towel rolls or half log (which most totally ignore). A few will actually climb on the vines, others could care less. Now my mantis and hissers have planted terrariums because they will actually climb on them and use them. I am thinking of getting a crestie and that would have more decor since they will move around more and utilize the space. My fish have a full-on, pimped-out tank with tons of live plants and driftwood because they prefer it. I think it is all about whether the animal uses the decor or ignores it that leads me to spend the money.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #22
azhketh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet~nichole~marie View Post
I think part of it may be the fact that you can spend a ton of money on decorations for the snakes, and they still want to just hide under their water bowls or prefer the paper towel roll ~LOL~ It is hard to get excited about decorating a viv when your animal basically turns its nose up at it.
lol, exactly! I love my snakes' tanks, but they couldn't care less. It's just a difference of activity level. I know my geckos are far more active every night, and need plenty of places to crawl around and hide. The snakes just want a place to hide, and room enough to stretch out once in awhile.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #23
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhketh View Post
lol, exactly! I love my snakes' tanks, but they couldn't care less. It's just a difference of activity level. I know my geckos are far more active every night, and need plenty of places to crawl around and hide. The snakes just want a place to hide, and room enough to stretch out once in awhile.
I've noticed that the difference in activity level of which you speak can be from individual to individual, not only between species. Some of my corns are climbers, some are interior decorators, some just like to sit on a rock. And then there's "Inviso-Snake" who is rarely seen at all of her own free will; of course I check on her regularly to her chagrin. She jams herself into a tiny space, apparently happy only when she has a maximum amount of surface area in contact with a hide.

Moral of the story; loving the tank set-up is great. Sometimes that's all you see.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
EsotericForest
On the other hand, just because they don't "use" some of the things in the tank, doesn't mean having them there doesn't make them more comfortable. I just argue that it seems like they would feel more comfortable in a naturalistic vivarium, even if they are still hiding under their water bowl .

Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchedprocess View Post

Actually, the bin thing is part of what curbs my snake-acquisition fantasies, though. I like to spoil my pets, and I like to *see* my pets. I can no longer imagine keeping a snake who doesn't get a fake vine to climb in. I didn't do much decorating, though. I'm very aesthetically oriented, and I work with my hands all the time. But somehow it doesn't really occur to me to get too fancy with the snake cages. It probably wouldn't fit in there with all the driftwood and hides anyway. In truth, I think this is the second place I've ever lived where I've actually gotten around to putting pictures up on the walls.
I remember feeling that way. Till I got my first rack! I don't have a picture at work, but you can see my racks either on my homepage of my website or in a thread here about let's see your snake room or something. I guess I had a corn, a king, Zee the tri-color, and had bought three new corns from Carol, and then a new corn from Rich (Lily) and three from Joe Pierce! I didn't _think_ I could stuff in more glass vivs. (As it turned out, I could!) But I didn't want the snakes to be crammed into little sweater boxes, for _my_ sake, and worried that I wouldn't be able to see and enjoy them as much. I got the 66 qt rack from Animal Plastics that is open and airy. The bins are big. I can easily fit in a lagre water bowl, vines, slabs of cork bark, hides, paper towel tubes, hammocks...Each snake has two solid hides and a paper towel tube at a minimum. And nice deep aspen. And plenty of vines.

But the best thing is the joy I get from surveying the racks, seeing who is out, opening up each bin to give the kids a little pet, and some take that as an invitation to come out! When I want company, I just gaze over the line-up and see who is looking for an adventure. The bins are _so simple_ to clean, or rearrange the order of, and sterilize for a different snake, and to maintain steady temps in- I just love them.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #26
wretchedprocess
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshaelaine View Post
I only have 13 snakes
I love that this is a place that someone can post this, and no one will think "only" is misplaced.

Nanci, in my glorious dreams for a glorious future, I was just starting to poke at the idea that maybe a rack such as that one could exist. That's definitely the kind of thing I could get behind. I love the fact that you can really see them, and I bet the plastic bins are WAY lighter and easier to clean than glass aquariums!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #27
Nanci
They are not as clear as glass. Well, Iris bins are close, but Sterilites are not. But you can see the snakes. They are just so _simple_ to work with compared to glass. No wondering if the lid is really locked. No having to set the lid down somewhere when you take it off. Easy to tell who is out for feeding or nookie. And I just love the library aspect of it! Hmmm, who is out, who do I want to visit with??

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
zamora
My husband insisted on having one HUGE display tank for our first snake. We worked very hard to convert a 100 gal saltwater aquarium into a suitable habitat for a snake. I'll have to post pictures of it for you all to see. She has aspen substrate and up until recently, vines and lots of stuff to play with. I have removed everything but her hide and water bowl since she was due to deliver her first litter on Tuesday. (still waiting) We took down our entertainment center to make room for her--she is the main focus in our den!

I also have two 10 gallon aquariums, retrofitted to be suitable for snakes in two other rooms in my house. I use these as quarantine tanks.

Last but not least, I have a monstrosity of a rack that I absolutely LOVE! We built it out of desktops that were being thrown away and this sucker is HEAVY! It holds 41Qt. Sterilite tubs which is suitable for most of my snakes right now. The tubs only contain the hides and water bowls to make cleaning a breeze.

I plan on making my hides myself, especially for the big girl just like was mentioned with the grout and sealing it, I just haven't had the time to get started yet....

Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #29
diamondlil
I love the pictures of Nanci's snake habitats! Mine are simpler with bunches of bad-taste silk flowers for the snakes to weave through, climb over and hide in, and cardboard rolls from the carpet shop, but her tubs are brilliant!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
bondoron
I make my own hides. I cut the top off of cereal boxes and use tp rolls once the paper is off. My animals are all in racks. My free time is spent taking care of them feeding, cleaning, etc... I don't have time or the will to make rocks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google