CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

I think I found a Homemade viv Design I like.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Dreamsnake
It is really big. If you intend to spend the rest of your life in your home I think one that large is alright, but if you ever move it could be a nightmare. I've only started keeping snakes about a year ago, in that time I've had one die, one have digestion problems, one with two months of refused feedings, and one be a complete angel (fingers crossed). I've become determined in this hobby and I love the symbiotic relationship that forms between pet and owner and I am willing to work through these problems. However, many other people have joined this site with their shiny new snakes only to declare they want nothing to do with these snakes the moment a problem occurs.

What I'm saying is plan for the future, but before you throw your entire being into anything decide if this is the right path for yourself and your family.

I only speak words of caution. I think the cabinet is a wonderful idea and someday we'd like something like it.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Allalaskan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsnake View Post
It is really big. If you intend to spend the rest of your life in your home I think one that large is alright, but if you ever move it could be a nightmare. I've only started keeping snakes about a year ago, in that time I've had one die, one have digestion problems, one with two months of refused feedings, and one be a complete angel (fingers crossed). I've become determined in this hobby and I love the symbiotic relationship that forms between pet and owner and I am willing to work through these problems. However, many other people have joined this site with their shiny new snakes only to declare they want nothing to do with these snakes the moment a problem occurs.

What I'm saying is plan for the future, but before you throw your entire being into anything decide if this is the right path for yourself and your family.

I only speak words of caution. I think the cabinet is a wonderful idea and someday we'd like something like it.
I understand what your saying. I have always had alot of pets, I had a dog that had bad hip problems, the vet could not do any thing about it and when he was 13 I had to have him put down. I could not do it myself. My point is When I have a pet I dont just give up on it because of the first problem that comes up. Atm I have a dog that I love, hes a big sweet heart, but im allergic to him, and to top it off I cannot for the life of me house break him (potty trained) and he will go all over the place. I have been working with him for a year now and he just wont stop. But rather than just get rid of him like so many other people would do. I have a dog chain ( I know some people think they are cruel, but he has a run over 40 feet that he has to run) that He goes out during the day time. At night I bring him and and play with him ( I play with him outside too) and I still am attempting to house break him. He is getting better but I still cannot let him run loose in the house at night so He goes into his Kennel. I know of several people that would have or have already been rid of dogs with such problems. I just cant do that. I love him to much even though Im allergic to him and bust out ever time I play with him lol.

My wife doesnt mind the snakes as long as she doesnt have to handle them shes fine. But if she has to she will but I would be the primary one taking care of "them". How ever she loves Lizards and really wants another Water Dragon so not every thing in the viv would be mine. I want to start of with just a few snakes and see how it goes from there. So far I love Seth, he is a really cool animal. Hes docile, active and fun to watch now that he is starting to get use to his new surroundings.

I do appreciate your imput though, I really do so thank you for sharing

Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Dreamsnake
Then by all means build this viv and I will follow along and take notes.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #14
Allalaskan
Well as soon as I start building it I will start posting pics. Just picture what I posted cut in half from top to bottem. That will be what im going to build.

Now I need to figure out if I want to use heat tape or just pickup 2 more UTH for the 3 large (I have 1 already) bottem chambers. I think im ganna go with those LED lights for the lighting. I problubly wont be able to get the wood for a couple more weeks but As soon as I do I will be taking pictures as I go along.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
Allalaskan
Well, after researching the cost of the stuff I need I decided not to go that big for now. I have had an old book shelf out in my garage for a while that hasnt been used in years. I busted out the measuring tape and measured the size of the inside of the shelves, they just so happen to have the same exact measurements as the bottem of my 29 gallon fish tank, which my snake still has plenty of room to move around. The Dimensions are 30 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 13-15 inches tall per chamber depending on the chamber since the shelves arnt exactly all the same distance apart.

So For the backing I have some left over tounge and groove flooring from when we did the floors in the living room. So I put together and cut the stuff for the back of it. I am planning on using heat tape then putting down linoleum ontop of the heat tape on the shelf, so the heat tape will be ontop of hte shelf but under the linoleum.

Here is what I have so far, the flooring for the back isnt nailed down just yet but this gives you an idea.

Now I need to get a sheet of plywood that I can cut to the shape for the face then cut out the holes for the windows/doors. After that I will need to order Heat tape, Thermostat, and the LED lights. After the face is on though I plan on taking silicone and sealing every single chamber so there is no way for any snake big or small to end up in some one elses chamber.

Once I get the heat tape and put it in then I will put down the linoleum down but untill then Im not doing that just yet. I think later today I will cut out the linoleum and get them all shaped right so when it comes time it will be a drop in and done thing.

I still plan on building the BIG viv, but it problubly wont be untill next fall. I figure this will allow me to get a few more corns (either yearlings or hatchlings) or other small snakes. I still do plan on making the monster viv come next fall.

If any one has any imput, I would like to hear it.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #16
Allalaskan
They claim that this can be used INSIDE of a reptile enclosure so this is what Im looking at using. http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Appl...ble-Heat-Ropes

I think this will work great for hte way I want to heat each chamber.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #17
Rdoyle
that looks great

Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
Dreamsnake
That looks good. Where do all the cables connect?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
Jessicat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allalaskan View Post
Jessicat,
Ya That was something that I was thinking of also. I dont want any gaps what so ever. I was actually thinkin about going around all the edges with some kind of sylicone or calking to seal any gaps or cracks. It will have the air vents so air shouldnt be a problum but that way any baby snakes cant get out..
Sounds really good! From the pictures it looks like you won't have any gap problems, but if you use silicone make sure to let it cure for awhile. If the silicone is going to be anywhere near your heat source it could emit toxins when it heats up. I'm not sure how it would affect corn snakes, but it seems like it would be better safe than sorry to let it cure for a bit longer than what the instructions say.

Your pictures look great! I'm always inspired and in awe by people who build their own racks. Can't wait to see more pictures, especially when you get to the decoration stage!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
Allalaskan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsnake View Post
That looks good. Where do all the cables connect?
Its actually like a rope but it heats up, so you can run it any where you want. And it will plug into my thermostat to regulate the temps. I think this way I can lay out exactly how big I want the heat "pad" to be. I was thinking about using some of that aluminum tape to tape down the zone. Has any one used the aluminum tape INSIDE of a viv before? I was also thinking about maby taking a piece of wood and wrapping the cord around a small thin sheet of wood like a 1x6 so it would be about 12 inches long and 5.5 (they are never exactly what they say) wide then running the up one of the corners up into the next chamber. They say in the video its safe to use inside the tank so thats why im leaning towards it. Just a thought, let me know what you guys think.

Im just stuck between the heat rope and the heat tape, I see pro's and cons to both.

I just finished making about 10 new hides (took me a few hours) and atm Im baking them at 300f to sanitize them of any parasites. I will try to get some pics of that in a bit and post them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google