CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

I think I found a Homemade viv Design I like.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #31
Allalaskan
Alright, well I put the book shelf unit on hold for now. After doing alot of hard thinking I really want to build a bigger viv for Seth, I know the one he is in now is big enough but really would like to give him a bigger one.

So I took an old Entertainment center and ripped out the divider and shelves up top to open up a nice big area that im going to split in two units, an upper and lower then the small spot on the right side on the bottom will be used as another viv for a smaller corn.

Atm this is what I have.

This was right after I pulled out the shelves and divider ( separated the tv from the dvd players ect.)

Then I made up a support for the top because it was sagging a bit. I then cut 4 pieces one for each corner. I will cut out a slot in each for the new shelf to sit and it also gives me the basic shape up front for the doors to fit into, kinda hard to explain but this is what I have now.

It is really dirty in the pictures but it will of course be cleaned out real good before its finally all put together, also Every piece of wood added to this will be painted black to match and seal it.

Inside it is a half an inch under 4ft wide, the living space will be 14 inches deep from front to back and the total space up and down atm is 25.5 inches. Of course it will be cut down to roughly (hard to say till its done) 1foot in height on each chamber. I plan on having 2 hinged doors on the front with a wood frame with plexi glass in the door way. The back will be covered in Pegboard for ventilation.The bottom will most likely have screen on the OUTSIDE pard of the pegboard incase I end up putting a baby in so it cannot escape. Also The compartment ont he bottom left side with the door is where I plan on keeping the Thermostat and dimmer switches and all the electronical gear (as in power strips ect) so its not out in plain view.

The plan is to also build a pedestal that will sit the whole unit up about 2 feet off the ground to put them more at eye level and to keep it off the ground since the floors can get a little bit cold at night (Hard wood floors dont exactly stay toasty warm, especially when its -40f outside and you open a the front or back door) just for the safety of the snakes.

As you can see I have already started to cut some of the wood for this. The 4 corners will have about 3/4 of an inch cut out for the shelf to ride on but will be cut back a little bit on the front to put a piece of 1x2 running across the face so when the doors are closed the 2 chambers will be totally sealed off.

Atm the only things I NEED are 1 more heat pad (Have the one big one under Seths 29 gallon already I plan on using ) and I have a small one for the bottom unit already also. I need to pickup some pegboard for the back and the plexi glass up front. Also I Still plan on picking up a thermostat how ever because the smaller pad may run differently I may end up using the Dimmer switch on it depending on how it all runs when its said and done. I already have the Linoleum for the entire project (same stuff as the stuff used on my guinea pig cages if you seen that in the chit chat forum) but I still need calking.

After thinking long and hard about it I figured this was the wiser route to go for now. After this I still do plan on building the book shelf rack but that will be used mostly for babies or lizards.

Any way I know I have changed my plans and every thing like 3 or 4 times now but this is the one im sticking with lol, if you have any suggestions let me know.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #32
Jdog3131
Very good idea.
I don't know what requirements they have but western(maybe eastern)hognoses and African house snakes stay at a small size,maybe under 36 inches.You could have one of those in the smaller compartment depending on the size.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #33
Allalaskan
Ok here are some pictures of what I got done today and some ideas im throwing around.

Here is a picture with a can of spray paint to give you an idea how bit or small this is.

This may be a little bit of a problum.... This is at the bottem of the bottem top 2 chambers. The floor bowes down leaving a bit of a gap, so im going to have to figure out some way to fix this.

Here I was moving some piece of wood around trying to get an idea on how I want to do the front door or doors. Im not sure yet if I want to go with one big door or 2 smaller doors, one for each chamber.

This would be kinda what it would be like with just one big door. The piece running down the middle was to keep the top piece from falling.

here is what it may look like sorta if I go with 2 doors...

Im not totally sure yet how im going to do the doors still trying to decide, but atleast I made some progress today . And keep in mine every thing will be painted black, the red sure isnt staying haha.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #34
Allalaskan
O and btw, the bottem shelf, the stick in there was me trying to get the bottem half of the top to to level out the floor, which didnt work haha. but I have an idea on how to fix it.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #35
Pazzoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allalaskan View Post
Jessicat,
Ya That was something that I was thinking of also. I dont want any gaps what so ever. I was actually thinkin about going around all the edges with some kind of sylicone or calking to seal any gaps or cracks. It will have the air vents so air shouldnt be a problum but that way any baby snakes cant get out.

I really want to build a big one like I showed above (my design), but I think I may just cut it in half so its 3 large chambers and 2 possibly 3 smaller chambers for younger snakes or smaller animals. My wife doesnt seem to keen on having such a big viv in the house and the amount of money (even though over a long period of time) it will cost to build it haha. So I am thinking it will be half the size of the one I showed, that will still give me enough space for 3 adult snakes and 2-3 smaller animals. I coul always build another one down the road if my addiction needs to grow lol.
Good Idea...I put contact paper first on my wooden cage sides, top and bottom then I lined silicone on all the seals.....it's practically sealed tight and water can't get through to the wood.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #36
Allalaskan
I decided to make a short video just a quick over view. Something I can put together later I guess as a step by step as I did this project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5VwyvvbOF8

Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #37
Allalaskan
didnt get much done today, but I wanted to at least get the linoleum cut out. Its not glued in yet but gives you an idea.

Still quite a bit to do, but its moving along slowly. I was planning on working on the door some today but im not feeling to good so thats going to be put off for another day.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #38
Jdog3131
It looks good so far.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #39
Allalaskan
Well I didnt really DO any thing, but We were going to throw out this old coffee table and realized hey, if I shorten it up depth wise it would make a great stand for my viv!
After I thin it up some to be more the depth of the viv I plan on sanding the whole thing down and painting it black to match the vivarium. I will leave the rounded edges up front and the part I cut off that will be flat I will just put to the back up against the wall.

Man, I am really going to have to sweep out and squeegee out the garage before I paint lol, there is a lot of dust in there. Any way as you can see it just about is perfect left to right in its width but needs to be shortened up in its depth to match up the way I want. I plan on screwing the viv to the stand so its all one unit. I think I will leave a few inches out to the front for stability though, just to be on the safe side. Also I may have it screwed to the wall on the top just to make sure it doesnt fall forward if it seems a bit unstable when its done.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #40
Allalaskan
Well I picked the rest of the stuff i need to finish the viv today!!! I will be taking pictures and posting them later as it goes along. It will not be done (atleast to put the snakes in) because the paint will have to cure but I May have it atleast finished and put together by tonight possibly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google