CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DYI Hides.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
sinlesstwigs
DYI Hides.

Hey guys, Been a while since i've been on here. I Just bought a new snake (pics to come today was feeding day so in a few days ill post some of all 3 corns) Currently my new baby is living in a tub, But soon I am going to be putting her into a 10 gallon tank(until she out grows it) But it's going to be the most out and open one, so I guess it will be the "show" viv. So my question is, what are some good DYI hide's that look really nice and natural? Thanks in advance, sorry I searched for DYI hide's but didn't come up with anything new and interesting

Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Cornelia
For my hides I went to hobby lobby and got a pack of tiny terra cotta flowerpots, 6 for $1 I think, and used a dremmel to make little doorways in them and put them upside down in the viv. They aren't really natural per se but they are cute.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
mfick
We have been using sculpey clay a lot, endless possibilities!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
schnebbles
mflick - do you get that at hobby lobby? I was there and looking at it the other day. Well, I don't think that was the brand. Where do you get it?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
mfick
I go to Michael's, but I'm going to look online next time

Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Fatman608
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
mflick - do you get that at hobby lobby? I was there and looking at it the other day. Well, I don't think that was the brand. Where do you get it?
Hobby Lobby = Yes

Look for air drying clay or you can also use the oven drying type. Now I have never used it to make hides. My daughter used for school projects and a lot of people here use it to make hides.

Found it

Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
schnebbles
Thanks! I think that might be easier for me vs building out of styrofoam.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Destarte
Oh hush, you saw what I did with styrofoam. It's easy! Clay would probably be easier though... Hrmph...

Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Fatman608
The clay is real easy to work with and it does not make a mess like some other stuff. Also, you can paint it whatever color your mind can come up with.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
schnebbles
I might try the styrofoam tomorrow, I hope to have more ambition tomorrow - but yes it does look a bit messy. I could probably make lots more hides too with what I already bought. I'll get another color of paint so they aren't all the same. the styrofoam does look pretty simple, I'm just lazy but it would give me something to do, which would be good for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google