CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Recommend a base?

Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
albertagirl
Question Recommend a base?

These are the exact cages I'm getting, only mine will be white. The sides are clear acrylic too, so they'll let in more light. I can't wait, they're gonna be awesome! I didn't get a base for them because of cost. A matching base would have cost as much as another cage. But I do want to get them off the ground to keep them out of drafts every time I open the door to let the dogs in and out, out of reach of my little dog who likes to pee on things (I know, I know, actual housebreaking is another option!), and so that they are not totally stressed out every time a dog walks by.

Can anyone comment on whether that does actually stress them out, or whether they just get used to it, like they get used to us handling them? Maybe I don't really need to worry about that one.

They are 3'x2'x14", and there will be 4 of them, so I'm thinking a base should be between 14 and 20 inches. It can be wood, metal, plastic, whatever, but preferably not TOO ugly. I'm not particularly handy, so DIY would have to be SUPER simple, but I'm looking for ideas other than something I'd have to build. They are about 20 lbs each... I'm thinking maybe a coffee table might do the trick and not be too expensive?

ANY and ALL ideas welcome!! Pictures of what you use also helpful. Thanks!!!!!

Incidentally, these are available out of Calgary, for anyone who's interested. http://cornelsworld.com/?product=cus...ylic-sidewalls

Name:  smaller cages.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  191.9 KB

Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Zeina
Oh sweet Jesus those look so awesome- This scares me, though, as I fear if I love my first snake as much as I think I will, I might have a picture like yours someday lol!
If I see of and/or hear of anything, I'll let you know- I can't wait to see your photos of them all set up!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
albertagirl
Yeah they're over the top, BUT they are totally worth it! It will save SO much space in my little condo, and will last the lifetime of my snakes... and probably then some, with a little care. And of course they will look nice, and maybe then people will stop calling me the crazy snake lady. For heaven sake, I only have 4! ... So far! LOL

Just as a warning, Zeina, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get A snake in June of this year... and I now have 4. There are just too many amazing morphs to choose just one!!! And that seems to be the norm around here, you can't just have one!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Zeina
Lol I have SO notice the "Pringles" theme around here- Once you pop, you can't stop!
I actually really like that set up- Those tanks look badass.

How exactly are they heated??

Old 10-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
albertagirl
If you've ever had any other pets, the first thing you'll notice is how much easier snakes are. It takes less time looking after all 4 of mine than any one of my dogs, that's for sure.
The viv's are heated with heat tape, all 4 on one thermostat.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #6
smigon
I am jealous! Those are great.

Look at Goodwill, yard sales or thrift shops for a low table that would work. Depending on what it is made of you can paint it or buy some fabric to cover it if you want. Look at big box home stores for cheap cabinets, then you will have a place below to store stuff. The cabinet can have a cheap piece of plywood for the top, with the tanks on that. Again, easily camouflaged with paint or fabric.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
albertagirl
Oh cabinets! I hadn't thought of that!! Thank you Smigon

Old 10-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Galataya16
Those are awesome. I was looking at those ones. Did you get the LED lights installed in them? Or any of the other options? They are awesome and I think cabinets are an awesome idea!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galataya16 View Post
Those are awesome. I was looking at those ones. Did you get the LED lights installed in them? Or any of the other options? They are awesome and I think cabinets are an awesome idea!
Thanks! I got clear sides put in instead of solid, to let in more light and avoid the need for any kind of bulbs. I originally only wanted the top half of the sides to be clear, so the snakes would still feel like they had privacy, but that would have costed a lot more. I can always cover the bottom half in a decorative way if I feel they are too exposed. I do have stick on, battery operated LED lights that I will put in there for times when I need it brighter, but I don't know how often they'll get used. They were like $3 apiece from Ikea.

I also got 14" height instead of 12" so the litter dam is a little higher, and I can use more substrate if I choose.

I'm not sure if either of those option is on the website, the new website went up about 6 weeks after I ordered them, but I went and saw him in person, so he suggested them after hearing what I was looking for.

Name:  1 cages.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  205.2 KB

Old 10-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Galataya16
Wow they look fantastic!! I am just interested in the LEDs to light up the viv and make it pop. I love to do themes and decorate and I'd love that extra pop. I have looked at ones from IKEA that are pretty cheap too. But we have nothing like that around here I have to do all my shopping online.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google