CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My first DIY 3unit display viv!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
blueturtle
Talking My first DIY 3unit display viv!

Here's the finished product before the snakes being moved in.

Here is Alcy's new home. She loves it much better than the paper towel temporary setup I had her in for a couple of months. I had a bug encounter with Petsmart's and Petco's aspen. Eww!

This is Red's new place. She's definitely digging her upgrade from her 16qt tub.

The bottom unit is being used as storage until this summer. I'm looking for a 1.0 Ghost stripe.

In case anyone was wondering, I finally found aspen at Walmart by the brand of AlphaPet. They only have the smaller bags of 1500cu in for about $3-4 but I like the quality. I haven't noticed dust with the exception of the end of the bag much like the Kaytee I was using. It also seems to be shredded small pieces. Looks kind of like the ZooMed snake bedding. Nice and fluffy. The package states that it's laboratory quality. I wish I could have found a co-op store near me to buy the big bales for cheap but this will do until then.

So what do you think?

Thanks for looking!

-Aida

Old 03-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
ratfink007
nice set up im sure they will love it good luck with finding the ghost stripe i just got a 4 month old female ghost stripe last week i am going to mate her with my normal lewis in a couple of years she is beautiful any way well done on the vivs they look awesome

Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Blue Apple Herps
Nice! Looks similar to my design, but modified for three cages. You should have some happy snakes on your hand!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Old_School
Very nice, well done. I love the way you decorated the enclosures.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
reptile_jones
Looks great!!

You may need something to protect the peg board. When it get's wet it will swell up.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Silvergrin
Hey those look really nice! Glad the heating plates were helpful

What are you using for lighting? The display is lovely

Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
danielle
That looks super awesome your lucky you don't live near me I would be putting you to work for sure...nicely compensated of course. I bet they are enjoying their homes very much!! I got a bale of aspen at Hamburg for $18 which seems resonable and it isn't dusty, is fluffy, and pretty finely shredded. I would check out some shows for a bale.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
blueturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
Nice! Looks similar to my design, but modified for three cages. You should have some happy snakes on your hand!
I initially wanted to custom build it with your plans but I ended up finding a bookcase off of craigslist for $20 and went with that instead. It was fairly easy. Next one I do, I will be following your plans. I just got to wait until I move out on my own and have the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile_jones View Post
Looks grate!!

You may need something to protect the peg board. When it get's wet it will swell up.
I thought about that and so I applied a paint sealer to it as well as the rest of the entire viv. Its by Krylon. The one that everyone on here recommended is safe to use. I've already cleaned the viv out multiple times during the modification process and the sealer has worked pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergrin View Post
Hey those look really nice! Glad the heating plates were helpful

What are you using for lighting? The display is lovely
Thanks again for that little idea. It turned out really well. As for the lighting, I found under cabinet 20" strip lighting at home depot. They were on clearance for $11 each. I forget the name of them but they're really nice and they don't get too hot to the touch. That was something I was concerned about. It stays warm, probably no more than 90 degrees judging by comparison of the heat pad that stays at 82degrees. The lights also came in 30". They're plug in but come with the tools to turn it into a click switch light so you don't have to bother reaching all the way in the back to unplug it to turn it off.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Shiari
What sort of UTH are you using on those? The set up is gorgeous!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
blueturtle
they're the ones by zoomed that i think most people use. I have the one for a 10-20gal tank as each unit is the same dimensions of a 20gallong Long. You can see in the first pic that I've created a cavity for it with silicone and aluminum plates so that I'm able to slide it in and out through the back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google