CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #21
Joejr14
Are we sure that this is 100% safe? I mean, the box is supposed to be in a wall grounded, not just laying around on the floor.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #22
DdotSpot
Well...Joe,

Is there anything that is 100% safe?? I will say a couple of things.

1. I would say that this is JUST as safe as a regular Rheostat that you would buy at the store...if you'll look carefuly....THERE IS NO GROUND. In fact...I would probably say its safer(Read point number 2)

2. I made sure to STRONGLY suggest people using electrical tape around all connections...and even the outside of the box.

I would like to add, there was never any mention of keeping this Rheostat on the floor. Actually, this design is very easy to insert into your rack system or just place on the shelf next to your viv.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #23
DdotSpot
Ok, to satisfy the anticipation...Part deux

Ok, too many folks wanted me to post instructions for another design that included a receptacle outlet. These instructions aren't as detailed, but just use the previous instructions as a guide.

Ok...here are the 'supplies' you'll need

STEP 1:
Cut the extension cord like you did last time. But take this piece and throw it away...we won't be using it.

STEP 2:
If your dimmer has these little tabs on the side...you will need to remove them in order to fit it in the box. Use your pliers to work those tabs off.

STEP 3:
Connect ONE of the wires off of the dimmer onto one of the GOLD screws located on the receptacle. It doesn't matter which black wire or which gold screw you put it on. RECOMMENDATION: try to keep everything 'clockwise'. Wrap the wires around screws clockwise so that they don't slip off when you screw it on. Also, take the OTHER black wire and connect it with the side of the extension cord that DOESN'T have the ridges on it.(look at the first instruction manual about the 'ridges' on the wire)

STEP 4:
Connect the RIDGED side of the extension cord around one of the WHITE or SILVER screws on the receptacle.

STEP 5:
Ok...you can actually connect the green wire to something in this design....not that it will really do anything...

STEP 6:
For safety sake....JOE...I would wrap the receptacle with your electric tape.

That's basically it...now just screw in the receptacle and the dimmer into the box...and put the cover on! YOUR DONE.....

Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #24
DdotSpot
Just curious if anyone has tried the second design, and how it has worked! Thanks for all the great compliments guys.

Dan

Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #25
CornCrazy
I built a some of them (both types) and I LOVE them. I prefer the second design, however.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #26
babbaloo99
Thanks Dan!

These are my kind of instructions! I have one question about the second version you posted. Can you plug two UTH's into both outlets as a dual rheostat?

By the way, my dad used to do auto body work so his favorite type of band aid was electrical or duct tape

Old 04-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #27
princess
Wow Dan, wow-wow-wow....I never figured it would be so simple. I'm pretty competent but I get nervous any time I'm dealing with anything that could potentially electrocute me (I kinda owe my life to a saftey cut-off switch)..

Brilliant instructions...but I'll get my very handy boyfriend to do it for me!

Old 04-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #28
DdotSpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbaloo99
These are my kind of instructions! I have one question about the second version you posted. Can you plug two UTH's into both outlets as a dual rheostat?
Yes you can...If you plug in 2 UTHs, the one knob will control both outlets. There's only one potential problem that I can forsee. The temps will likely still vary because of a couple of factors: Substrate depth and types AND different UTHs. I would still keep thermometers monitoring the temps just to be sure that all is well Other than that, it should work great.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #29
Lennycorn
Hey Dan,
Great post!!! I saw them for sale for $18 +. Just one thing in the second version, one outlet is for the uth, what do you think about using the second onre for a light at the same time??? any harm on light or uth???.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:11 AM   #30
DdotSpot
Nope, you can plug a light right into it without a problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google