CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Best way to heat tubs?

Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
Renigaed
Best way to heat tubs?

Hey guys.
I'm wanting to downsize my snakes into plastic tubs because it's easier to clean and they just don't use the room I give them in the larger vivs.

I'm thinking about getting two of these for my corn snake and my BP: https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-41-2-Wea...=1&*entries*=0

My only problem is I don't know how I would heat these? I'd be afraid to put a heat pad on the bottom for fear of the plastic melting. Also, I'm not using a rack system.
I do have a rheostat to control temperatures (I'd need to get another one for my other snake). Are there any of you out there who use tubs and know of a good way to heat them?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Dragonling
It's easy to think heat + plastic = bad, but consider that the normal high range for snakes is less than body temperature. I don't think you can melt it by touching it.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Renigaed
That's true I didn't think of that!!
The heat pad would be set to 85 degrees, you don't think the constant heat would be a problem?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #4
Pilarcoder
I used to breed Dubai roachs for my critters In a big Rubbermaid container with two heat pads on it so no you will be fine lol especially with a thermostat

Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
Pilarcoder
Dubia ** stupid autocorrect lol

Old 09-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
karma279
It'll be fine to attach a heating pad directly to the bottom of one of those tubs... I have them on my air-lock Ziploc tubs... I mean... the melting point of polypropylene (or Recyclable #5) is 338' F... So you're good!

Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Amanda47
I've been using tubs for four years with heat pads and I've had no trouble with them. The plastic doesn't melt and it's not discolored or changed in any way. Long term contact with the heat pad doesn't seem to have affected the plastic tubs.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #8
karma279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda47 View Post
I've been using tubs for four years with heat pads and I've had no trouble with them. The plastic doesn't melt and it's not discolored or changed in any way. Long term contact with the heat pad doesn't seem to have affected the plastic tubs.

This...

Old 10-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Woolly Bugger
Keep min in a big 'ol sterilite and just keep a medium size heat rock in there.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger View Post
medium size heat rock
People still use those things?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google