CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Snakes Premonition of earthquakes

Old 01-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
CowBoyWay
Snakes Premonition of earthquakes

Some animals can feel the vibrations before an Earthquake . Some can hear the sound waves.
Animals like dog , snakes etc. have these abilities. These abilities can also be found in Fishes like Goldfish.

Does anyone have any personal tales of such things occuring with there snakes?

Old 01-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
Rhiannon
That's a good question.
I don't really know but they can sense with their tongue can't they? Maybe they can sense other things than prey as well, I haven't had a personal experience with my snakes but I think it's possible.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
CowBoyWay
Animal ESP A Good Earthquake Predictor

The ability of animals to "sense" earthquakes before they happen has created the impression that certain species have a kind of extra-sensory perception, writes David Montgomery.

What is becoming clearer is that what they in fact possess is an extra sense that humans lack. The latest research from Stanford University makes it more likely that this "perception" is the ability to feel and understand vibrations that are transmitted through the ground.

In 1975, thousands of people were evacuated from Haicheng, China, shortly before a large earthquake struck the city.

With geologists largely unable to produce precise information on impending quakes, the Chinese authorities were alerted by the strange behaviour of animals such as rats, snakes, birds, cows and horses.

Officials believe these animals could feel seismic pre-shocks which went undetected even by the most sensitive equipment.

Other species have also been observed behaving strangely in the run-up to an earthquake. Some fish - catfish in particular - are reputed to become agitated before earthquakes, and at times have been reported actually to leap out of the water and on to dry land.

Snakes have been known to leave their underground places of hibernation in the middle of the winter prior to tremors, only to be found frozen on the surface of the snow.

Mice are commonly reported to appear dazed before earthquakes and allow themselves to be captured easily by hand.
http://100megsfree4.com/farshores/nesp.htm

Old 01-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #4
Gerone
I have seen this in person. Atleast with quakes. I lived in california for a few years at a time twice. Been through my share of quakes. The animals do get all freaked and dazed. Snakes that are burrowed do leave and surface. It is not if it happens it is more if it is seen. The genral snake population in these areas is not very high making it unlikely to be seen. Scientist have deteremened that is not snake ESP but the fact that if a quake is a lsow starter and not a complete SNAP on a fault line that most burried herps respond in similar fashion and runfor high ground. They simply don't like the vibrations. Some are still trying to prove that it is related to pressure as well.

Quakes do weird things. I have even seen sand boil/liquify a few hours or so before a shaker.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Rachel
I know my dog freaks out hours before a thunder/lightning storm but that's just because they have much more sensitive hearing than us so can hear the storm hours before we do. Maybe this is the same idea for snakes..they simply feel the vibrations before we do?? Just a suggestion

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google