CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello !.........goodbye...

Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
But if wrong info is given out it's picked up real quick by other members...
And if the other members aren't contradicting the newbs they have a satisfied feeling of handing on the knowledge....
And yes... The other members sit back after answering the same questions over and over... But the newbs like to show their new found skills so it's win win IMO.....
This is true. When I see one of the same old, same old questions, I check out the info given in the answers. Unless I moderately or strongly disagree, I let the newbs handle it. They generally do a fine job.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #32
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
Hello, since there is no tech/support forum I'll post this here.
That would be called Discussions About This Site...

Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #33
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
Yes, we can get asked the same basic things time and again and I don't always answer if I'm just passing through. But if I have time to do so, then I will.
I thank God every day that Bitsy has the patience to answer as many questions as she does, over and over and over, with infinite patience. _I_ really, really appreciate it!!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #34
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
The only issue I have with this statement is the implication that so-called newbs shouldn't express opinions. I know that it was stated this way, so no need to correct me, but that's really what was implied here. I think there are fewer absolute "right" ways to do things than you would infer from many of the so-called experts' statements on this forum. It's nice to hear many different opinions so that we can decide for ourselves. For example, I gave my 19 year old son a boa constrictor for his graduation gift a year ago, and he's managed to teach me a thing or two about keeping snakes. And I got my first snake about 35 years ago!

Also, I know people get tired of hearing the same questions over and over, but I also take issue with telling newbs that they should have done a search first. If that's the case, then why not close the forum to all new posts, since most things have already been covered? I would rather hear other opinions, and fresh opinions from new people.
Wow...looks like someone needs one of those cups of coffee. I really don't know what lines between the lines you are reading, but no where in my statement did I say anything at all that could remotely be construed as implying that newbs shouldn't express their opinions. My concern was about newbs receiving incorrect information from other newbs, or even a so-called "expert" as well as proper information and not being able to tell the difference and ending up choosing the wrong advice.

Being an open forum, everyone is allowed to post their opinions, right or wrong. And if you have 5 members saying "X" is correct and 5 others saying "Y" is correct, how is a newb supposed to choose? You can't go by rep points, number of posts, years a member, fancy websites or eenie, meenie, minie, moe. The best way to try to judge which information is the right information is to search. This forum has FAQ threads all over it. There are several books that are recommended by every member of this forum. If I were make an uneducated guess, the information provided in the FAQ section of a website such as this one, and the recommended reading would be the best way to go versus contradictory information that might be found or provided otherwise. Once you have searched for the basics and have read it well enough to understand at least the main concepts, you no longer have to ask questions like "what temps should I keep my corn snake at?". Instead, you can ask a more precise question such as "I am having difficulty regulating the temps at the high end of my snake's viv. Is is okay if it ranges throughout the day from 83F to 86F or should I try to minimize that range?"

And there are only so many times you can answer "What do the numbers mean?" before you literally explode. I saw that happen to someone once. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #35
wretchedprocess
Pssssh, flounce-off. Ridiculous. This is a GREAT site, and I have missed it a lot in my no-internet-at-home months.

I tend to feel that it is kind of the duty of the n00bs who have begun to learn what's up to answer a lot of the same-olds. It takes the pressure of writing the same blessed thing over and over off the old hands, who can indeed then just click, make sure the information is correct, and put it out of their minds. And whoever said that the relative n00bs then get to feel good about passing the knowledge on was spot-on. I quite intentionally took that role on after I'd been hanging around here and working at the rescue for a while. After all, if the Experts With The Fancy Websites really had to spend every waking moment answering questions that have been asked, with minor variations, a hundred times, they wouldn't have time to MAKE the Fancy Websites. Or eat. Or sleep. Or, most importantly, play with their snakes!

I sort of think of Answering-N00b as a logical stage in the evolution of a keeper, at least one who wants to give back to the community that helped them learn. It's like the older apprentice helping out the newer one, because the master has already answered it, and is busy in the other room creating masterpieces. As it were. For me, this setup works to increase a feeling of membership in a community, and of value to it. I care about that sort of thing, with snakes. Though, yeah, I will occasionally privately explode to myself about USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION THAT IS WHAT IT'S THERE FOR.

In summary: I do not think we will miss the OP too much.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #36
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchedprocess View Post
Pssssh, flounce-off. Ridiculous. This is a GREAT site, and I have missed it a lot in my no-internet-at-home months.

I tend to feel that it is kind of the duty of the n00bs who have begun to learn what's up to answer a lot of the same-olds. It takes the pressure of writing the same blessed thing over and over off the old hands, who can indeed then just click, make sure the information is correct, and put it out of their minds. And whoever said that the relative n00bs then get to feel good about passing the knowledge on was spot-on. I quite intentionally took that role on after I'd been hanging around here and working at the rescue for a while. After all, if the Experts With The Fancy Websites really had to spend every waking moment answering questions that have been asked, with minor variations, a hundred times, they wouldn't have time to MAKE the Fancy Websites. Or eat. Or sleep. Or, most importantly, play with their snakes!

I sort of think of Answering-N00b as a logical stage in the evolution of a keeper, at least one who wants to give back to the community that helped them learn. It's like the older apprentice helping out the newer one, because the master has already answered it, and is busy in the other room creating masterpieces. As it were. For me, this setup works to increase a feeling of membership in a community, and of value to it. I care about that sort of thing, with snakes. Though, yeah, I will occasionally privately explode to myself about USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION THAT IS WHAT IT'S THERE FOR.

In summary: I do not think we will miss the OP too much.
Thats just about in a nut shell IMO

Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #37
bitsy
Quote:
I thank God every day that Bitsy has the patience to answer as many questions as she does, over and over and over, with infinite patience. _I_ really, really appreciate it!!
*blushes* Thank you for that Susan. I appreciate your appreciation!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #38
Jdog3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Sorry bud but the mod positions are already filled....
I'm sure they will pull us up if and when we step out of line...
Yea thats true forget I ever said that

Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #39
Dreamsnake
I've learned nearly everything I know about snake set ups on this site from everyone here. Other than the two corn snake books I got months before I even got a snake. If I ever stated something wrong, it was corrected and I felt ashamed and discontinued giving advice until I learned more. Even if you don't want to chime in on questions, the DIY section is worth checking out for the racks and set ups.
He mentioned something about people housing snakes together, I think he was mistaken from the baby bin pics, and comparing hatchlings. I doubt anyone on this site would keep two snakes in one tank longer than a minute after doing one search or asking one question.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
Nanci
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did TTT think this site was mainly about talking about cornsnakes???

Betsy, you called me Susan...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google