CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

One more corn lover!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelavender View Post
I saw a hybrid on the forums and I liked it. Practically everything I could breed my Amel to would just make normals. I don't want another Amel. I don't intend on becoming a breeder, I might just do it once. I don't care about making money. My friend has hatched snakes before. I do the breeding, she'll do the rest. I'm sorry if I come across rude sometimes. Look up Asperger's Syndrome. You'll understand me a bit better. Hopefully.

I really should go to bed now. Mom is coming home briefly tomorrow, then back to the hospital to be with grandma. Thanks to those who hoped for her health. She is recovering. I just hope the cancer stats away this time.
An amel and a normal are two different morphs.
So what does this pet shop specialize in, just curious. What hybrid did you like.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #32
Dreamsnake
I'm glad your Grandmother is recovering so well. My own Grandmothers are as tough as railroad spikes. That generation always will be among my favorite people.

I don't know much about hybrids other then creamsicles, amel corn + emory rat snake. My husband's cousin had one. He grew to be six feet (so she claimed). He wasn't mean, but he was a handful. I am interested in jungles, corn + California king. Breeding is a huge obligation and should be thought out before attempted. Remember your snake could die from complications, even males have problems. If you are still in school, think about using snakes in a science project or something for extra credit. If you want to work with animals there is 4H as well.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #33
Amelavender
It doesn't really specialize in anything. Small animals, I suppose. Fish, birds, reptiles, rodents, supplies. No dogs or cats, unless someone brings in rescues from the streets. Once someone brought in what looked like a few week old full blooded redbone coonhound they saw someone abandon. I payed for her shots and took her home for the night. Then there were kittens that someone left behind when they moved.

Most people come to get crickets or feeder rodents. In the back room is where the crickets and breeding rodents are. Fish are the next most bought animals. There's a decent variety of fish. The hamsters can't sell fast enough. Everyone thinks the dwarf hamsters are cute, but those things are vicious! When there's bunnies, they get gone fast. Who doesn't love bunnies? The least bought animals are birds and snakes. The leucistic Texas rat snake finally got sold. When it came in almost a year ago, I thought it would sell quickly. A ball python was sold Friday. The kingsnake is technically sold, it just stays there until it's owner can move out of his family's house. There's supplies for dogs, cats, birds, fish, herps, just not as much as a bigger store would have.

I was interested in the corn x black rat hybrids I saw here on the forums. Mom likes them too. She likes them enough to let me have a black rat, and she doesn't like black snakes! I loved Becky's "beasts" the moment I saw them.

While Amels and Normals are different morphs, the Norm gene takes over the Amel gene. But while it looks like a normal corn it would be het Amel. The corncalc says so. To get anything other than a normal or amel using my amel would require line breeding, which would require more than two snakes. Until I'm in a place of my own, I can't have more than two snakes.

On a completely unrelated subject, does anyone know why there's carpet beetles in my room suddenly? I do have animal pelts, so that might have something to do with it. Gotta do something before they eat my great aunt's vintage mink stole.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #34
Amelavender
It seems like someone always posts while I'm writing my posts. XP

I graduated high school in 2010. I wish I still was in school though...
Snakes would have made for a great senior project, though. I did mine on dog shows, and I won best of breed in the UKC.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #35
Dreamsnake
Since you're out of High School, you can start taking courses at any Community College to get your basics out of the way. I'm taking Biology and computers right now. Last semester I passed my first math class since 11th grade, that was eleven years ago, if anyone is counting. I always thought I couldn't understand math, but my 3.0 says otherwise! Returning to school is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I think everyone should at least give it two years.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #36
Amelavender
Mom wants me to wait until I'm emotionally ready. I'm going to go to the local community college eventually.

Jack is home now, btw. He did not enjoy the car ride home. He dislikes the transport box, and my step dad was plying music so loud the car vibrated.

Are snakes completely deaf? I know they rely on scent and vibrations, but can they hear at all?

I know lizards can. I swear my Leopard Geckos knew there names. They just didn't know who was who. They were such sweethearts.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #37
Naagas
Snakes can hear. To them the world sound like they are underwater.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #38
Naagas
*sounds (For some reason I can't edit my posts.)

Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #39
Carinata
I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in here, because I can. This girl seems nice enough, and has her heart in the right spot. But we jump on her like idiots making us look like a nasty forum that pushes people away. She is going off what she knows. We were taught stoves were hot, correct? Yet, if a group of people were to tell is stoves were cold it would take some convincing. I agree, co-habbing is wrong, but that's what she was taught so she though she was right. Just because people on 1 forum say something is true is not always convincing. Sure, this is a tight nit community but at the same time we're not welcoming her in any sort of way. I just think we need to be much less harsh on newbies, I mean we say we're nice people right? Education through compassion is better than education through force and nasty words.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #40
mjdglobal
It seems to me most people just offered advice. Most welcomed her to the forum and some wished her grandma well. Yes, some plainly stated what she needed to hear, but I didn't think anbody was rude or 'jumped on her like an idiot'. I agree, sometimes we need to be a little less harsh on newbies, but in this case no one was 'an idiot'. Amelavender, I certainly hope you didn't take offense to mine or anyone else's posts. We ARE trying to help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google