CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

One more corn lover!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #51
Amelavender
I know king snakes eat other snakes, and I'm not really fond of kings anyway.

Ultras and ultramels look very similar to amels. I want something completely different. I, personally, would be happy regardless of offspring. All snakes are beautiful to me. I just have preferences. My favorite morphs are lavenders, salmon snows, Miami motleys, and bloodreds. Are there any solid (or mostly) black corn snakes? Anerys and charcoals are mostly gray it seems. Their black markings often get lighter with age. On the contast, a black rat is gray with black markings when young and becomes practically completely black with age. Except for for ventral.

I don't have any friends who own corn snakes. Unless you count the petstore owner, who has a nine year old female normal named Sal. Don't know how that would work out with a three year old male... But I would love it if Jack and Sal could have babies though. Even though that would mean normals. Because I love Sal. Everyone loves Sal. Except for people who don't like snakes, they don't count. Everyone loves Charlie, her snow male too. My petstore friend has a friend with a bunch of snakes. But I don't know him. He's supposed to be an expert, but he's the one who brought in the wild snake. Ehhh... I guess we don't have anyone better around here...

Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #52
starsevol
You love miami motleys, huh?
Well none of the others will make the types of babies you want with your boy......if I were you I would beg to be able to get just one more snake....just one more...and get a pair of top shelf miami motleys from Carol. Her miamis are top notch.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #53
Amelavender
I know they won't... And to ask that of mom is really pressing my luck. I can guarantee the answer would be no. Unless I can talk a friend of mine into keeping them for me, and mom would say that's wrong to have someone do that.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #54
starsevol
Then maybe you should consider stepping back and giving Jack the very best home possible, and think of acquiring more snakes and breeding when you are out of the house.....

Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #55
susang
Let me start by saying I have an understanding of Asperger's, I realize the problems.
If you breed your snake you will get more then one or two 'offspring', which is confusing what will you do with all the babies?
I feel like you want to take a poodle and breed it to a pit bull and get german shepards. You have an amel you say you love work with it.
I also know people with aspergers don't totally grasp a situation and may say things the way they see them, not necessarily what they are. Why if it is your snake does your Mom have to clean the tank?
As for your Mom if she treats her dogs the way you say she does, she does not love them. Locking a dog in a room with as you say little human contact is cruel.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #56
Dreamsnake
After high school I took off a year and worked before starting college, so not jumping right into school is understandable. I can say with confidence that the grand majority of college students are working out emotional issues. I was certainly no exception.

I don't think parents are necessarily the best judges of their kids capabilities and capacity for understanding. I have two kids and it is hard for me to see them as anything other then my babies, granted the oldest is still seven and the youngest is two.

I think you should speak to an advisor and get stated learning what to expect from a college environment and curriculum. Maybe by taking the initiative and getting the ball rolling on your own future the parents will see you under a different light.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #57
Amelavender
I don't really care that much about breeding. Mom does. She thinks she can sell the babies. I know that they can have a lot, and it's hard to sell that many. Every time I try to explain this to mom, she doesn't have time. Or she is tired and doesn't want to talk. Or she's on the computer. Or she's watching tv. Or something. Somehow I miss the chances where she isn't doing anything.

I don't mean cleaning, I mean completly changing the substrate. When I asked her when I could do it, she said when she could help. I could do it by myself, mostly. The tank is too heavy for me to pick up.

I understand cornsnake genetics, well, a good bit of it. Because I don't know the hidden genetics of my amel, it gives an unknown factor in breeding. When I was mentioning morphs, I was saying ones I like, not ones I want to make. Most morphs are recessive to normal. I thought I was making sense.

Great. Now that you know I have Asperger's, you'll doubt what I say. I'm not aware of Masada and Oj having any attention outside of having a few minutes to run and use the bathroom and eat. Elijah and Rose see my stepbrother when he's home. He lives in an itty bitty makeshift apartment in the dog barn. They get let out probably three or more times a day.

Mom would be so pissed off if she read this. I feel kinda bad...

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #58
merkurio24
If the problem is that you can't buy the things you need for another snake, I have a cost effective solution. Although it doesn't look as nice as a tank, you can house your second snake in a plastic tub. I paid $9 at walmart for a nice sized plastic tub, I drilled some holes on the lid and on the sides. I also bought an $11 thermometer and hydrometer and that's how I'm housing my two snakes(separate containers) until I can afford something nicer. Just an idea.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #59
diamondlil
I honestly think it would be best for now for you to work on improving the conditions for the animals already in your house, rather than getting another corn and trying to breed them.
Most small scale breeders just about cover the costs of keeping their snakes each year. In bad years when the eggs don't hatch, you get kinked babies, hatchlings don't eat..you get nothing. Worst of all sometimes the female gets eggbound and dies.
Read through the old threads in the breeding subsection, it won't take long to see that along with all the great news we share with each others of our successes, every year some of us lose snakes, lose clutches, lose hatchings that don't thrive. There's nothing better than seeing your own corns hatching and growing, but there's nothing worse than when they don't make it or you have to euthanise your babies.
Please, enjoy the snake you have now, get the keeping conditions better, and save breeding for later.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #60
starsevol
I agree. Like I said before, a dog is only destructive if it's needs are not being met. Locking the dog up all day only makes the dog more miserable. Instead of getting another animal, both you and mommy dearest should be taking better care of what you already have.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google