CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie snake owner and new forum member! :-)

Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #31
I feed pretty much weekly sooner or later depending on if the snake is roaming and appears to be hunting. I don't normally hold off on or offer food due to shedding. I just offer the food and they always take and never regurge. Once we got our first snake she would not take frozen thawed, and it was going on a good while since she had ate. Did a lot of research and this one post stuck out to me. "Snakes have been eating for thousands of years without us feeding them, they know how to eat and when." With that in mind kept offering Frozen Thawed, after while I got very concern and was told by a friend who breeds Balls and also worked at the local Petco to try and force feed. He stated sometimes he gets a corn into Petco and it will not eat but after force feeding once or twice they usually catch on. I tried force feeding twice. It regurged both times. Went to live as a last resort, and turns out she likes to torture and hear her food squeak. Those two regurges have been my only 2 out of my 4 snakes.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #32
JennaJ
I'll probably avoid it in the future just to be safe, but glad it turned out OK this time!

She had a complete shed, it doesn't look like she retained any of it. It's in two perfect halves, though, I'm guessing it broke at the spot where her food lump was What I think is kind of cool is that she shed on the one month anniversary of the day we got her.

I find the thought humbling that a captive snake, or any animal for that matter, is at our mercy-- they can't move to a more suitable place or go find food that they want. We just take care of our animals and kind of take that idea for granted sometimes. But, I also really like the sentiment that snakes have been feeding themselves for millions of years, so we should give them some credit to know what's good for them.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #33
JennaJ
Sneak had her first weigh-in last night-- a whopping 8 grams

Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #34
Naagas
Sounds like she is doing well!

And don't worry- she cant hide a regurge from you. You will be able to smell it a mile away.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #35
schnebbles
Sneak is a cute name

Old 10-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #36
JennaJ
Thanks! She got the name "Sneak" after accidentally arrived one week early and then being an 'undercover snake' while we switched over to an apartment that actually allows snakes...

I'm amazed how different she looks after this one shed! Her back isn't the black it was before, it's more faded (greyish). I assume she'll continue to fade as she grows? I've been checking out pictures of adult anerys. I can't wait to see how she continues to change. Hopefully I'll have updated pictures in a day or two

Also, does anyone know why Anerys develop the yellow coloration when they mature and why some of the black coloration turns to brown? I've been looking around for the answer but haven't found it yet.

She's very active in the evening (Including becoming active a bit under 12 hours after eating... granted, it was a smaller pinky), cruising around and continuing to "test" the sides of her tank. Is this still normal for a hatchling even though she's been in the same tank for a month? She seems to focus on one corner. Do they feel more comfortable or secure if you put a background or solid colored paper on one or two sides of the tank?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #37
Destarte
Anery As will retain some yellow/orange/reddish pigments due to the genes. A Charcoal(Anery B) on the other hand will not. It's not normal to live in a glass cage where you can see EVERYTHING, but can't actually get to it. The aquariums are for us, to enjoy our pets. From what I can tell, they are much more comfortable in bins/tubs that are not translucent. But then again, you wouldn't be able to enjoy your babies.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #38
visceralrepulsion
a wopping 8 grams! yikes! dont let that killer around small pets! haha

Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #39
visceralrepulsion
this may be a silly and undaunted question, but ive seen it discussed so much i have to ask...why are neither of my snakes very active? both have thermostat controlled temps, a nice size tank with a nice setup, etc etc, yet they both only come out rarely at night, or to grab a drink....is there something im missing besides the obvious? when i take them out theyre both active, healthy appearing, eat fine, handle well, and nothing seems array. i know its common for hatchlings to hide after settling in, but ALL the time? and now the one is nearing a year old and the other is full grown. i just want the best for my snakes, and if theres something someone can suggest, or something im missing, then id gladly take the advice.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #40
Hutchie91
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralrepulsion View Post
this may be a silly and undaunted question, but ive seen it discussed so much i have to ask...why are neither of my snakes very active? both have thermostat controlled temps, a nice size tank with a nice setup, etc etc, yet they both only come out rarely at night, or to grab a drink....is there something im missing besides the obvious? when i take them out theyre both active, healthy appearing, eat fine, handle well, and nothing seems array. i know its common for hatchlings to hide after settling in, but ALL the time? and now the one is nearing a year old and the other is full grown. i just want the best for my snakes, and if theres something someone can suggest, or something im missing, then id gladly take the advice.
+1 mines similar, except mine is really active late night

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google