CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

2015 Breeding Season

Old 07-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #91
crturley
Ahh, my kind of geekiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
So your odds of getting more diamonds when you cross the diamond to its het diamond offspring should be closer to 1/2 than to the 1/4 you would normally predict!
Sean Niland had a linked trait in leopard geckos that performed exactly like this. (Afraid I can't remember which mutations.) No one else could seem to produce a double homozygote, but when he finally hit upon one, he bred it back to a parent and ended up with a line that produced twice as many as expected.

A question, though . . . Does the proximity of traits along the strand typically follow what we might think of as a "rational" arrangement? Meaning, since charcoal is an anerythristic trait and lava is hypomelanistic, would they sit farther from each other than--say--charcoal and anery? Or is there no rhyme or reason (at least as we might conceive of it), except in cases of same-allele mutations? Hope that made sense.

Sorry, Joe, for hijacking your thread. Keep the pictures coming!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #92
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crturley View Post
A question, though . . . Does the proximity of traits along the strand typically follow what we might think of as a "rational" arrangement? Meaning, since charcoal is an anerythristic trait and lava is hypomelanistic, would they sit farther from each other than--say--charcoal and anery? Or is there no rhyme or reason (at least as we might conceive of it), except in cases of same-allele mutations? Hope that made sense.
In eukaryotes (everything except bacteria) the answer is generally no, genes are not clustered together based on their function. There are some exceptions. So there would be no reason to expect the anery and charcoal loci to be near each other, and same for loci like hypo and lava.

In bacteria, sometimes genes that function together in the same process are clustered together in units called operons. When their protein products are needed, the genes get transcribed together into a single messenger RNA that encodes multiple proteins. This allows bacteria to quickly and simultaneously produce multiple different proteins that function together in a process, and to turn them off together when they are no longer needed.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #93
crturley
Interesting . . . and thanks!

That makes me wonder, then, how many seemingly unrelated aspects of a corn's makeup (including everything from egg size to temperament) might actually be linked, and responsible for originating such stereotypes as "all Sunkissed corns are mean," or "Lavas have poor fertility"--things that were commonly experienced when the mutations first appeared, but less so now. Perhaps once a few crossovers occurred and broke such links, outcrossing has continued the process . . .?

Just a thought.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #94
ecreipeoj
Sunkissed Anery het Striped x Striped Blue

Target: New Project, Striped Anery het Dilute Sunkissed

Long term target: Sunkissed Striped Blues

Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #95
ecreipeoj
Normal het Striped Sunkissed Lava Butter x Same

Target: Sunkissed Striped Topaz

Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #96
ecreipeoj
Tessera het Sunkissed PS x Het Sunkissed Granite

Target: Tessera, Tessera Sunkissed, Tessera Sunkissed Bloodred

Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #97
ecreipeoj
6-9 was a busy day

Tessera Ghost het PS x Hypo PS het Anery

Target: Tessera Ghost PS, Tessera Hypo PS, Tessera Hypo, Tessera Ghost

Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #98
ecreipeoj
RedCoat Motley het Striped Snow Lavender x Lavender Motley ph Anery Caramel

Target: Lavender Motleys het RC and possibly more.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #99
ecreipeoj
Sunkissed Pied-Sided x Het STARGAZER

Target: Prove Sunkissed PS is Gazer FREE, before breeding into my colony.

I have been testing ALL of my Sunkissed lines for years now and only work with Stargazer Free lines. When I add a Sunkissed to my colony, such as this very nice Sunkissed PS produced by Walt S, I test them for Stargazer, BEFORE, breeding them into my colony.

This male was bred to two female het Stargazers this year. If enough eggs are hatched, I will know if he carries the Stargazer gene or not, and it will be recorded in the ACR.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #100
ecreipeoj
RedCoat Sunkissed Lava x het Sunkissed Topaz

Target: Out Crossed Sunkissed Lavas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google