CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Heat tape question

Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
bthomas
Heat tape question

Im still trying to figure out how to heat this rack. If i put the tape under the tubs then the tubs dont slide well (or not at all really)
So im wondering if I can do back heat like pictured. It would obviously be attached better then it is there, it was just thrown on there quick for the pic.
Im just not sure about this way because theres no back to the rack so im not sure that will work.
If it would work then my next question will be about attaching it.. would i be able to put nails through the clear part above and below the copper strip to attach it at each end?
Really trying not to scrap this rack and start over

Old 08-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
HerpsOfNM
run it vertical instead of horizontal. You'll have to run 2 strands, 1 left and 1 right. You can either do that as separate pieces with their own plug or wire them in parallel so you use only 1 plug. I believe you can staple through the clear portion of the heat tape to secure it. The other option would be using a brad or tack nail through the clear portion or even using a round top wood screw and appropriately sized washer as a buffer between the screw head and tape.

if you do a tack nail or wood screw, I'd strongly suggest pre-drilling the melamine to avoid having it splinter/chip out since that's particle board between the melamine finish. Those dots on the left and right outer side of the tape should also be points to secure it.

With a brad or tack nail, pre-drill slightly smaller than the thickness of the nail, and just a little shallower than the nail's depth. With the screw you still want a bit just slightly narrower than the screw body (non-threaded portion neat screw head), but instead you'll drill just a little bit deeper.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
bthomas
That 4 inch heat tape is all I have atm.. do you think that'll be big enough run vertically? The tubs are 16 quart (back of tub measures 12x7)

So it will be ok not having a back behind the heat tape?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
HerpsOfNM
you should be fine. I would still run 1 strand per tub side, top to bottom of rack.

You'll be fine with no back. You actually want a little ventilation around the tape. You don't want to trap the heat and create pockets.

Contact Mike over at alphageckos.com. He carries the THG heat tape. Wonderful, easy guy to work with. I usually hang out with him at the various shows around the Dallas area. I BS about stuff with him and in turn he pawns me off to kids with leopard gecko questions - tell him I said that! Should jog his memory.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
bthomas
Lol thanks a lot.
I'll try it out that way and see how it holds temp

Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
backafter30
I have to disagree, a bit. Without a back on the rack, there is no reason for the heat to enter the tub. It will just float up and away, and you'll be wasting electricity. I have similar racks, but I enclose the sides and back with foil-covered 3/4 inch thick styrofoam and seal all the seams and corners with tape. I attach individual heat tapes to the back foam with aluminum tape on the edges. The foil on the styrofoam reflects the heat right into the tubs, which are heavily perforated in back. I have never had any heat issues with the styrofoam or the plastic tubs. (of course it's on a thermostat) My electricity usage is very low, and the snakes stay nice and warm.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
DLena
So you have air holes in the front of the tub and "heat holes" in the back of the tub? And you get better in-tub temps than without the back holes?

Old 08-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #8
backafter30
Yes, there are ventilation holes in the upper front of the tub, and rather more of them all over the back of the tub. Air can flow in from the front along the outsides of the tub, then gets heated near the tape, which is nearly in contact with the back of the tub. Warm air flows into the back holes, then cools as it moves forward and out the front holes. It doesn't create a uniform heat all over, but I provide hides in front and back and the snakes choose the temps they like best. I haven't had any complaints, or any heating issues so far. Also, I run a separate numbered cord from each tub to a 6-outlet strip on top of the unit, and only heat those tubs that are occupied. I realize that most of us do not have vacant spaces, and I am running out of them, but I hate to heat something unnecessarily.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 AM   #9
DLena
Thank you for the details. I'm going to try that as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google