CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

hi!!
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #41
sandybunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtis View Post
No everything belongs to someone asshole you put something on the web and you expect it not to get around
This is where durtis went wrong. He started name calling. You knew this would just get Jim going. Why didn't you just drop it and move on? Things do get around, but you need to show respect to Jim and understand why he might be irritated. This is the logo he paid for to represent his business, and make a living. So, the image is very personal to him.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #42
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciara View Post
It's not that you're in the wrong by protecting what's yours. It's just that your approach could use some work. Basically, what I'm (and I think others here) am saying is that you could have handled it in a more diplomatic manner. A simple 'could you please stop using my business logo as your avatar' in a PM would have sufficed, but instead you took an extremely aggressive and public approach, hunted down (from what I saw) every post he made and replied to it with said aggressive post, and then were surprised when he (eventually) got defensive.

Copyright infringement isn't ok. However, this is the internet. If he saw an image he liked, no one had claimed it was theirs/copyrighted/whatever, and he honestly didn't know who it belonged to, there was no notice not to use...how was he supposed to know? Just for the record theft isn't the same as copyright infringement.

Long story short, you can't blame him for how you handled the situation, and imo your approach largely contributed to the problem. You are in control of your actions and your approach to situations. He apologized and immediately changed his avatar. You continued your highly aggressive approach, and he (predictably) got defensive. That's human nature, especially at his age.

To be honest, this entire fiasco is somewhat appalling to me, as a new member of the forum. I really hope it isn't typical.

LOL...once again, I guess this isnt the end of it.
How I handled it......I have found that dealing with certain people ...being nice is basically a waste of time these days. I have come to find that getting right to the point works best. I honestly dont care if he, or anyone else is offended by the methods I choose to get things resolved.

It seems like how I handled the situation is more important to some of you, than him actually stealing/using something that does not belong to him.

Now if you want this issue to be closed , I have no problem with that, but it seems like when someone makes a post to let it rest ...someone else has to come back and make another post to keep it going.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #43
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps View Post

Now if you want this issue to be closed , I have no problem with that, but it seems like when someone makes a post to let it rest ...someone else has to come back and make another post to keep it going.
No they don't....

Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #44
ghosthousecorns
As this is a corn snake forum and it's already taken care of to the best of durtis ability I would like to see both parties either post about snakes and especially corn snakes, or just leave! Like how about some pictures of your snakes or a corn topic? Or did you just join this forum because a kid made you mad?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #45
ciara
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps View Post
How I handled it......I have found that dealing with certain people ...being nice is basically a waste of time these days. I have come to find that getting right to the point works best. I honestly dont care if he, or anyone else is offended by the methods I choose to get things resolved.
It can be a waste of time, but it can also work. That's why those of us who deal with disputes for a living tend to have an 'escalation system'. Always start out nice, and only escalate if the other party forces your hand. Why burn bridges if you don't need to? Also, you've said you rely on this business for a living...why alienate potential customers?

Quote:
It seems like how I handled the situation is more important to some of you, than him actually stealing/using something that does not belong to him.
He didn't steal anything. Theft requires that he deprive you of something. You still had your logo. He was just using it as well. That's copyright infringement. Nitpicky, I know, but still. Anyway, he didn't know it wasn't available for free use. You expecting him to know that is your logo, and yours exclusively, is a bit unreasonable. Especially in the wide world that is the internet.

Quote:
I've been watching this since it started. Moderator hasn't said discussion is closed, so I felt it was acceptable to add my thoughts.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #46
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by shed'n my skin View Post
As this is a corn snake forum and it's already taken care of to the best of durtis ability I would like to see both parties either post about snakes and especially corn snakes, or just leave! Like how about some pictures of your snakes or a corn topic? Or did you just join this forum because a kid made you mad?
First off.... I'm not mad.
I came here because a friend noticed that some one was using my company logo as their avatar, and wanted to get it taken care of.

As far as your comment about me just joining .... I think I have been a member here longer than you have.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #47
ghosthousecorns
You are right. I didn't look at your join date but assumed you just joined because I have never seen a post from you before - my bad. However the only posts I have seen from you are not about snakes but about this kid and his heinous crime. I seriously don't think he meant any harm.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #48
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciara View Post
It can be a waste of time, but it can also work. That's why those of us who deal with disputes for a living tend to have an 'escalation system'. Always start out nice, and only escalate if the other party forces your hand. Why burn bridges if you don't need to? Also, you've said you rely on this business for a living...why alienate potential customers?

He didn't steal anything. Theft requires that he deprive you of something. You still had your logo. He was just using it as well. That's copyright infringement. Nitpicky, I know, but still. Anyway, he didn't know it wasn't available for free use. You expecting him to know that is your logo, and yours exclusively, is a bit unreasonable. Especially in the wide world that is the internet.

I've been watching this since it started. Moderator hasn't said discussion is closed, so I felt it was acceptable to add my thoughts.

Hey.... fine with me if some of you want to keep the issue going.
When people do me wrong ..I skip the start out nice step ...its a waste of time.
If people choose not to do business with me because of the way I defend whats mine ... so be it. Besides I am not the one that came here and started calling people derogatory names.

You just keep on find reasons to justify what what he did...maybe next time he'll take a step further , and steal something else that will get him much more trouble.

This seems to bother you more than it bothers him or me....why is that ?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #49
homegrownherps
Quote:
You are right. I didn't look at your join date but assumed you just joined because I have never seen a post from you before - my bad. However the only posts I have seen from you are not about snakes but about this kid and his heinous crime. I seriously don't think he meant any harm.
Can't you read...I said I am willing to let this come to an end, or maybe we have it escalate to the point where we start calling each other names and making threats....that way we can get some warning points and banned.

I mean what is it that some of you are trying to get out of this. He did what he did ( which some of you seem to be O.K. with ) and I dealt with it as saw fit. Bottom line is ...he removed the avatar. Get past it will ya'

I contribute to forums when I see fit, and most importantly when I have time.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #50
starsevol
Quote:
Same here Jen. I had never even heard of homegrownherps til now.
My analysis of this situation can be summed up like this :
1) The kid was in the wrong by using someone's logo as their avatar.
2) The kid found out, and promptly apoligized and changed the avatar.
3) The adult kept on going on and on (and on) about what a horrible thing the kid did.

My conclusion is that the kid made a mistake, and recified the situation as soon as he could. The adult pretty much gave himself and his business a blackeye with his attitude. There are alot of breeders that don't feel that "with certain people, being nice is a waste of time" (his exact words). I would rather not waste MY time dealing with someone who thinks being nice is a waste of his time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread